Computer Help forum

General discussion

is this a good gaming laptop?

by arpit_rathore7 / December 13, 2010 1:01 AM PST

well i am planning to buy this MSI GX660 gaming laptop with following specifications that are available in india. but as i am new to gaming i don't know for sure that if this is the right choice. also, there are some confusions that are there in the configuration of the system that i wanna get sorted b4 buying it. here are the specifications: PROCESSOR: intel core i5 460M, GRAPHIC CARD: ATI Radeon HD5870 with 1GB DDR5, CHIPSET: Intel PM55, RAM: 4GB DDR3(2GB*2), HARD DISK: 500GB sata@ 5400rpm, LCD: 15.6" HD Glare(1366*768)LED. There are 3 main confusions that i am dealing with right now. FIRST, is there any difference between GDDR5 and DDR5,coz on the website they show as this model has GDDR5 graphic memory but my dealer's configuration states it as DDR5 graphic memory. SECONDLY, the hard disk is running at 5400rpm & as i want to buy this laptop for gaming , does it will effect the gaming performance on a large scale or not as compared to 7200rpm. LASTLY, after checking out all the specifications of the system thati have provided earlier. what do you think of this laptop as a whole,especially in gaming performance. will it be able to run newest games (between 2009-2011) at high setting without any hitch?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is this a good gaming laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is this a good gaming laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 2:37 AM PST

Laptops are a compromise in speed, power and cost. Even today you find folk complaining about game speed in desktops with triple the GPU power that your laptop has.

My answer is it's a great unit but does not meet your expectations.
Bob

Collapse -
is this laptop good enough
by arpit_rathore7 / December 13, 2010 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Bad news.

i get ur point that laptops are costlier and even than dont match up with desktops but still its my only option to buy a laptop. thing i wanna know is that what u think about the whole configuration that i provided earlier. is it avg, good or bad, while running the latest games.

Collapse -
Then with expectations in check and knowing all this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 6:12 AM PST

This is the right stuff with the i5 and a dedicated 1GB video solution. It will never run all 2011 games at high settings but it's what I'd like to see to avoid the usual problems when folk get those i7 quad core laptops without switchable graphics.

The i7 quad core issue that you see me warn of will change when we get switchable graphics in that line (my bet!)

Nice compromise machine but beware the problems with gaming laptops of heat, shortened life span and those that FLAME LATER because repairs cost so much.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry to say
by Jimmy Greystone / December 13, 2010 9:15 AM PST

Sorry to say, but "gaming laptop" is an oxymoron.

Pretty much every "gaming laptop" out there is lucky if it makes it more than 6 months before it burns out because there's just too much high end crap in the case and not enough cooling.

Every company, except Apple, uses a rather backwards approach to system development. At every company besides Apple, the system designers -- the people who actually build the system -- are not even involved in the decision making process as to what goes into a system. So you have a bunch of people who have little to no working knowledge of the engineering side of things, coming up with a bunch of specifications to put in the system. The system designers then do the best they can to create a working system out of that. Usually it ends in complete disaster.

Apple flips that idea on its head, and the system designers are generally the final arbiters of what does and doesn't go into a system. They are involved in every step, and report directly to Steve Jobs, the CEO. Apple is a company that tends to make high margin systems, and there's nothing higher margin than gaming systems, or say a big 17" system for developers or engineers, loaded down with all the latest and greatest. They don't even TRY to make a system like that. Quite probably because the system designers have 86ed the idea any time it comes up, because they know that from an engineering standpoint, it's a doomed project. It will be a support nightmare, and they'll probably spend almost all the profits on the system paying out warranty claims to fix them.

You want mobile gaming, get a Nintendo DS or Sony PSP. You want PC gaming, get yourself a desktop. Laptops are not good gaming platforms, end of story. The fact that companies offer such units is only a sign that there are plenty of rich idiots just waiting to be fleeced, nothing more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?