Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Is this a good decision?

by marsenye / November 5, 2005 2:48 AM PST

If you are impatient, skip the next paragraph if necessary.

I have a PSP, and have lost interest in video games. I could go into detail why, but you don't want to hear my ramblings. Now all I have it for is movies and music. I listen to music with it the most, but it is quite big for an MP3 player. I have thought this over for some time, and I have decided to buy an MP3 player. Now, when you think MP3 player, what is the first thing that pops into your mind? Yea, that's right, Ipod. Now Ipods are cool and everything, but I'm not the kind of person who buys a product because it is a trend. In fact, everyone in my school has an Ipod, and I would rather be different. Now, the biggest beef I had with the PSP was that it is pretty big, and it really gets uncomfortable when you are sitting down. Another thing I didn't like was that it was so fragile, and you needed a case (which adds size) to protect your investment.

So I started thinking: What kind of MP3 player do I need? My first choice was the Nano, not because of the Ipod name attached to it, but because it is so thin and small. When I saw the price tag however, I was immediately turned off.

After some digging, I found the seemingly perfect MP3 player: Samsung YEPP YP-MT6X (512MB). I found this for $68 refurbished. Does anyone have any personal experience with this player to recommend (spelling?) it? Or should I look into another player, like the Creative Muvo ones (which there are about 100 of, so I kind of gave up looking for the right one)? One last thing. Capacity doesn't really matter. I don't need a 20 GB player to just fill up like 5% of the space with. I still can't believe that someone can like so much music. Sure, they can cram like 30 GBs of songs on their Ipod, but how much of those songs do they actually like? Well, that's just me. 512 MB is enough, 1 GB is the best.

So, Samsung YEPP YP-MT6X (512MB), or something else? Thanks for reading my rant/I need help post, and thanks in advance for responding.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this a good decision?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this a good decision?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MP3 Player
by smitty413 / November 5, 2005 6:48 AM PST

Well I have had no experience with samsung but it seems like it would be a good player. However I have had a creative muvo and it was an awesome player. It is small like what you are looking for. Also you may check at walmart. The creative muvo tx fm is like $60 there. I have that player and it is awesome. I also have a creative micro 5 gb and how I fill it up is that I listen to a couple of different genres and some days I feel like listening to different stuff. I mean the flash players around 512 and 128mb are good for portability but storage is the issue. Good choice on not getting the NANO they are extremely cheaply made. I would never buy one..... Good Luck finding a player

Collapse -
RE: MP3 Player
by marsenye / November 6, 2005 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: MP3 Player

Thanks for the help, smitty. I am kind of lost, because before I make a purchase, I have to try it out, and I'm not sure I can find this samsung in a best buy or something. Does anyone know what stores let you try electronics before you buy them? I'm not going to buy some player that I might not like. I have actually been kind of leaning towards the nano, because it is flash based, has the right amount of space for me, color screen, and is very thin. I have, however, heard a lot of complaints about it, although the most in depth explanation I got was "it sucks". Could anyone tell me what is exactly wrong with the nano? How much does the Muvo for $60 hold smitty?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.