HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

Question

Is this a Good Buy?

by antk555 / December 2, 2013 10:45 PM PST

Hi i was just looking for some opnions whether this spec is good for £400.00 (GBP) i think it is but would like some approval before i commit. it leaves me room to upgrade as i get more money spec is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core overclocked to 4.5Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Case: Zalman Z9
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
Optical Drive: Liteon CD/DVD reader and writer

Any help is greatly appreciated

Mainly want to play TW:Rome 2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this a Good Buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this a Good Buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can't tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2013 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Is this a Good Buy?
Collapse -
Thanks
by antk555 / December 3, 2013 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: Can't tell.

I thought it was good for the money as a little starter pc but only have a very basic knowledge of this so many different generation of chips! lol

Is there any more info you would need?

It is a custom PC btw not a factory PC.

Collapse -
Starter PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Wow. The times have changed. That GPU is near the top of its class, and the i5, well, I'm sure you've read the following.

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Why would I need more information? Unless we can travel to the future we can't tell if this will be hundreds cheaper in just a few weeks.
Bob

Collapse -
GPU
by antk555 / December 3, 2013 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Starter PC?

I know the i5 and the Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB are about £300.00 together new thats what made me interested. I was thinking maybe upgrade the PSU as its not very good say after Christmas

And yeah i know i thought you message just said cant tell :S bare with me first time posting lol

Collapse -
Also
by antk555 / December 3, 2013 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Can't tell.

It does come with a monitor 1920 x 1080 HD which is about £50 second hand. Thinking i might just brave it lol

Collapse -
Good choice of pixels.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Also

Not too many, not less than 1080. Sort of what Goldilocks would pick.

Collapse -
Answer
Based on the buyer ratings, not sure I'd opt for that PSU...
by VAPCMD / December 3, 2013 1:41 AM PST
Collapse -
PSU
by antk555 / December 3, 2013 3:48 AM PST

Its comes with the PC its someones PC that they built i know the PSU abit rubbish but was thinking upgrade that say after Christmas, its just the i5 chips is about £180 and the GPU is about £130. and thats only two parts of the package! lol

and no SSD unfortunately but the only thing ive heard about them is that they boost start up/loading times not sure if im correct but i can wait for the loading times until i got more money

And what do you mean by backup. Dont laugh too hard but i thought that was just to protect your files incase anything went wrong with the PC

Collapse -
I did check out that PSU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: PSU

My thought is it's fine. It has a single rail and a quick look finds it's not horribly overtaxed. It might hit 70 to 80% of the maximum under worse case loads but I've seen so much worse that I gave it a pass. I'd like to see 50 to 60% of max load for long life but this should work for a few years.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok...understand it's 'pre-owned'.
by VAPCMD / December 3, 2013 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: PSU

Re backup....if you have nothing on the HDD like PICs, music or docs you want to retain for the long term...perhaps backup is not necessary. On the otherhand for me and many others, items like family pictures, financial records, educational records, medical records, product documents, copies on invoices etc. etc. are important. In addition, those that don't want to spend days and days finding SW discs, product keys, registration numbers to reinstall the OS, Apps, games, etc., find restoring a PC from a good backup image is way way more pleasant when the system is backed up and can be restored within hours.

VAPCMD

PS don't forget to get the CDs/DVDs that should come with OS and SW on the PC.

Collapse -
Answer
Few Changes
by HurricaneBacon / December 5, 2013 5:05 PM PST

Corsair is good budget ram, solid price, good ram... check this out though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

The PSU is just an overall awful choice, there are plenty more options, Antec is good but that specific one is not so much.
Considering you have a low voltage check out EVGA's new line of PSU's for a fraction of the cost: (430w for $35)
http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0430-KR
This is only 1 extreme example (in terms of price), but you can find a better 500W PSU... well just about anywhere for much cheaper
This is a good reference too! (don't use it as your ONLY reference though)
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

MOBO:
I personally disagree, but most of it is preference so I won't address it.

Storage:
HEAVILY DISAGREE... very slow, very expensive (there's two versions of it, they're both bad though... one is cheaper and even slower)
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd-charts-2013/-17-PCMark-7-Gaming,2915.html
you can get cheaper or equally priced AND double the speed and/or data!!!!!
The one you selected is a rather outdated HDD, Samsung has GREAT SSD's and is a good company, but the spinpoint series just.... no...

Collapse -
Chose not to get it
by antk555 / December 6, 2013 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: Few Changes

Yeah i know your right i was a pre-owned so i didnt get much of a choice. Decided to stop being cheap:) and just spend the money to build one that will last and plus i will know exactly what is in it then. Not just what some one has told me (without checking of course)

But much appreciated everyone thanks for all your help!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.