PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Is this a feasible plan for a new desktop?

by Beonopsontgut / November 1, 2005 8:35 AM PST

Greetings. I'm planning to build a new computer, or rather to upgrade a new bare-bones PC, because I don't trust myself to put everything together. I've done a barebones before, but not a video card, sound card, or RAM. I'm looking to buy a barebones from Cybertron PC- with:
400 watt power supply
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ NC
Pcchips M871G S754 V/A/L ST Motherboard
onboard video
onboard sound
10/100 network card
Firewire card

I'm also planning on buying:
two 250GP SATA 7200RPM Hard Drives
DVD+/-RW Drive
DVD-Rom drive
5.1 PCI Sound card
two sticks of PC2700 DDR 1GB RAM
ATI All-In-Wonder 128 MB 9600 8X AGP Video Card

I already have the 5.1 speakers, a VGA/DV-I Monitor, mouse and keyboard. I've had a lot of experience with DVD and HD Drives, and only little experience installing RAM and PCI Drives, so I'm hesitant to buy all of these items at once. Just by looking over this, does it make sense to buy? I'm looking to be able to input and output TV video, as well as burn DVDs, and run many applications, possibly on two monitors. I have done all this before to some degree with the exception of TV out/in-put. I'm especially hesitant about installing the Video Card. For instance, if I installed that card, would I be able to plug a VGA monitor into the VGA port of the motherboard? I can only assume so. And what exactly is the middle squarish port in the middle of the video card, as pictured here: "http://us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/directron_1870_2728961"?

Sorry if this is too long, but I'd appreciate any advice offered.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this a feasible plan for a new desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this a feasible plan for a new desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's feasible, but not advisable...
by John.Wilkinson / November 1, 2005 9:36 AM PST

You could proceed with that setup, but there are far better options available. Key points:

* My primary computer has an AMD Athlon64 3300+ processor, which is almost a year old, and was only considered average then. Since technology is always advancing, I wouldn't settle for an Athlon64 3000+, as it is already nearing it's end of life. (AMD has already cut the 3000+ from it's pricing charts.)

* The motherboard listed is socket 754, while AMD has recently switched to socket 939. This means you'll find the possibilities of upgrading the processor in the future very limited.

* The current standard for RAM is DDR400 PC3200, with DDR2 gaining ground. If you want to look towards the future, go in that direction. However, I'd suggest not going less than PC3200, as PC2700 is reserved for older models and budget systems.

* If you click here, Cybertron PC lists the power supply as 350W, not 400W.

* The squarish plug on the ATI 9600 is the standard ATI adapter port. You plug the included cable into it, which splits off into 2 VGA connections, the audio cable, and I believe one other. (It's been a while since I've had it.) However, you may want to read the reviews of the AIW 9600, including the one where I wrote of numerous software and driver issues.

Personally, I think you might be better off looking through the flyers for a computer as opposed to buying the barebones system and adding onto it. You'll probably be able to find one on sale with an AMD Athlon 3500+ processor (socket 939), 1GB of PC3200 DDR (or even DDR2) RAM, DVD burner, DVD-ROM, and 200-250GB SATA drive for under $700. (HP and Emachines are typically the best deals.) That will give you more power and future upgradability for just slightly more. Then all you have to do is add your seond hard drive and audio/video cards.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. To my knowledge, there's no way for you to use the motherboard's VGA port while using the video card. However, since the AIW 9600 supports dual monitors, that shouldn't be a problem.

Collapse -
Danke
by Beonopsontgut / November 1, 2005 12:44 PM PST

Thanks for the reply. I've posted in other places on the Internet, and I rarely get anything more than ''PCChips ist teh SuXoRz!'' and no further direction. The advice I have basically has made me abandon what I really wanted to do, because I apparently don't understand enough about chipsets, motherboard companies, and types of RAM, I shouldn't be allowed to touch the inside of a computer. But I do know that I want around 500 GBs of HD space, a lot of RAM, a DVD drive with a separate dual-layer, dual format lightscribe burner, and a video card that lets me input and output TV. Beyond that, I just want a good computer that works, not the pure performance that I think most are thinking of. The biggest thing I'm worried about is the video card. I think I can handle everything else, providing the other parts are compatable. If I bought an Emachine or HP, I still wouldn't know exactly what video card to buy.

Collapse -
My advice.
by damasta55r / November 1, 2005 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Danke

FInd someone who will build your computer. Preferrably a friend or family member who is enthusiastic and know what they're talking about.

ROger

Collapse -
PC build help!!
by jcrobso / November 2, 2005 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Danke

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!