Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is there such a program?

by xcks / May 1, 2004 7:44 AM PDT

I like to save pic's from various websites, most are annoying as can be. The simple thing to do is to name pic's by number (1 2 3 01 02 03 ect) naturally when that number already exists you must name it right away or as I have done & create another folder with-in my pictures. When several pics have been collected I go through them opening them in Picture it 7.0 and crop them and resize them to 1024 x 768 so that I can view them as a sideshow and they display as full screen. (or at least full screen from top to bottom or left to right, seldom does a pic actually have a full screen like a background image)

My question is: is there a picture "renamer" program? Once modified for size & etc I select all and drag them to the extra folder I mentioned, any pic's that have that name already wants to know if I want to replace this one with that, when say 100 of them ask that .... well you see the dilema here.

Also some pics on the web are completely of an unreasonable size like 40 x 70 that a person cant even see what it is a pic of to another extream if you click to enlarge becomes 2050 x 1900 or whatever and what a time consumeing deal that becomes to get displayed when a person is on dialup. I know the IE Internet Options Advanced Accessability's 2 check boxes are helpful but only accours AFTER it still gets loaded at the 2050 x 1900 example that is of no help time wise. Any other suggestions how to make it more reasonable?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there such a program?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there such a program?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Is there such a program?
by Rollo / May 1, 2004 8:43 AM PDT

Can't help you with the program, I don't know of one that can do what you ask. However, Windows XP (Home or Pro) can certainly do a completely full-screen slideshow, using its built-in Picture and Fax viewer. All you have to do is set the Taskbar to auto-hide, go to the folder of your images, preview one of the images with Picture and Fax viewer and press the F11 key to start the slide-show of all the images in that folder. Regards

Collapse -
Re:Re: Is there such a program?
by dcrewchief / May 1, 2004 2:15 PM PDT

what i always do is just change the suffix of the pic title. i also save a lot of pics and run into the same title quite often. when you go to save and it says it already exist and ask if you want to replace it just answer no and it will give the option to retitle it. i just put a letter after the title and no problem. hope this helps.
Donald

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re: Is there such a program?
by Stan Chambers / May 1, 2004 4:27 PM PDT

Why not use the month, day, and year to name you pictures?
I've been using this for years and it works great. You don't have to worry about duplication.
Example: 05010401, 02, etc.
05010401 = May 1, 2004, photo #1
After editing a photo I add a letter at the end if I do not want to replace the original file.
Example: 05010401 becomes 05010401a, b, c, etc.
This lets me recognize which photo I have edited.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
What about a download manager?
by Rollo / May 1, 2004 8:26 PM PDT

Okay, so I had a blackout just prior to my last post on the subject of File and Fax Viewer slideshow in XP, you in fact get full-screen whether the taskbar is hidden or not. Anyway, I've been using Internet Download Manager (current version 4.01) for a couple of weeks now and it will rename a file if the target directory already contains a file with the name of the file it is about to download. At least, it will during the same session and the destination directories need to be setup first so it can save various file types to different locations, all this is user configurable. The default temporary directory also needs to be setup, this is crucial, since if the default temporary folder's location is within an Administrator's profile and you're logged-on as a mere user, the program throws up an access error dialog. The program integrates with I.E.6 very well and on a narrowband dialup, effectively increases the efficiency of bandwidth usage, it's primary function. It also integrates with Mozilla, Netscape and Opera. Regards

Collapse -
Re: a graphics viewer SUPREME: IrfanView
by ChuckT / May 2, 2004 5:10 AM PDT

Yes, there is a program that will probably do just about everything you want: IrfanView

It is free. It is a great graphic viewer, a great screen (or window) capture tool, a great slide show tool, and if you want it to you can make stand-alone slide shows too (so others do not require the tool to view a slide show you put together). It can cut, copy, move, rename, and/or convert graphics from one place and to another, and you can batch those actions to work on multiple pictures or folders of pictures. It can read about 60 formats and write out about 18 (which makes a it very nice conversion tool). During the conversion you can define certain manipulations at the same time, like rotate, or crop, or resize, or lighten, or change RGB values, etc.

When you look at very small or very large images you can set IrfanView to easily change the size for easy viewing that does not harm the original in any way.

IrfanView also has other features to view and edit the usually hidden EXIF (camera data) or the IPTC (keywords, credits, origin, etc.) info in digital camera photos.

Along with all that it can also view and play many different video and audio files. And, have I mentioned, it is FREE! Be sure to also load in the separate and also free plugins (which expands the ability for working with those many type of formats).

Check it out at http://www.irfanview.com

and NO, I am in no way associated with the developer, Irfan Skiljan, a person in Belgium (I am in California). And I receive no compensation. This is just such a great program that I like to inform others.

Collapse -
Re:Re: a graphics viewer SUPREME: IrfanView
by xcks / May 2, 2004 2:37 PM PDT

drewchief, Thanks for that recap (nice summerizing lol)
How about you come take some notes for me sometime?
Ernie, your method sounds as time consumeing as can be and is exactlly what Id like a program to do. A number approch is what I have been attacking with already. I commend you on your suggestion, thank you! But it still leaves me to do all the work.
Rollo, Internet Download Manager (After a couple searches I found a download addy)
(Is this done with or without you conferming this change? Actually never mind after rereading your post it says "same session" so I see no improvment from what already exists)
different locations? all this is user configurable? (This worry's me as default's appears right out the window) Put simply I have 1 folder named Downloads. It was created in the my computer drive c (the default drive) and all downloads go here and are never deleted, never move, nor are any extra's they may come with them. Pictures, regaurdless of type go to my pictures by default just as they should. MPG's to my videos and etc etc etc.
Administrator's profile and you're logged-on as a mere user, the program throws up an access error dialog.
(I can see why, with an wide open - let it rip - download mess thats fixing to be created Id want some authorization too. lol) This blackout your experianceing as well as blackouts mentioned in the programs very dialog sounds like trouble with a capitol T. My ISP provides a proxy address with a cache of enormous size. Believe I will just use it as a download manager, thanks just the same, believe I will pass.

Collapse -
Re:Re: a graphics viewer SUPREME: IrfanView
by xcks / May 2, 2004 2:40 PM PDT

chuckthom, sounds like a duplicate of what I already have with a few bonus features I may be intrested in. And weather you reply again or not (and I hope you do) you failed to awnser about what it does when it see's a duplicate. Now Im thinking that between Rollo's post (Thank you Rollo if I forgot) your post and my post maybe no program is capable of re-nameing a duplicate name. Now that I think about it isnt this what hacker's, virus's & paracites do when a computer is attacked. Now that my last living brain cell may have awakened prehaps Ernie is on top of the situation and may not even know it. hehehe
In short thanks for listening to me babbleing. Think Im going to at least download & check out the http://www.irfanview.com
program for some of those bonus features and rename rename rename, maybe drewchief will come help me. lol
Thanks guys!
Had to crop my reply as it was a bit too long where the hell is drew AGAIN ...... sheesh

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re: a graphics viewer SUPREME: IrfanView
by ChuckT / May 2, 2004 4:18 PM PDT

Well, to try and move files into a location with files having the exact same name you have two options:
1) to overwrite with the new file with no warning, or
2) to be asked to replace the file with a prompt,
asking Yes or No.

I don't recall seeing any tool that will do exactly what you want: to have duplicate file names ONLY renamed. (I'm sure some programmer out there could come up with a tool, but try and find that programmer.)

I can see one method, that is if you move the files as you want, and be prompted.
At every prompt you click [No].

That means that all the files moved must have unique names. That also means that any files still left in the orginal directory (because they didn't move) must now be renamed before attempting to move again.

All that can be done within IrfanView. You just make a mass rename and move. For example, you just add "-dup" on the end of the current file names, not touching the extensions (JPG remain JPG, BMP remain BMP, etc.)

So the 2nd move will get those remaining files into the new directory, with names similar to the others already there, but with "-dup" in the filename.

Clumsy yes. Also, I was testing IrfanView myself, just now to see if this could be done. I found that the syntax of IrfanView renaming is a little cumbersome. It took a lot of attempts to finally get a grasp about what all the controls and special characters can do, and what to enter and where.

This, obviously, is not my favorite feature of my favorite tool, IrfanView.

Collapse -
About file renaming
by Gakada / May 3, 2004 5:01 AM PDT

Actually windows xp can do it for you.

Just select all your picture file, rigth click, type a name... the file will become named i.e. pic.jpg , pic(1).jpg , pic(2).jpg and so on....

next time you want to rename your file.. it will continue the number..

Hope this might help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.