Mac OS forum

Question

Is there any way to play Blu-ray on iMac

Apple still make their computer not support Blu-ray natively. I tested that the newest VLC media player, it says that the movie can not be decoded. Also the Mac Blu-ray player and the DVDFab media player, both of them can play my Blu-rays. But which one to choose? any suggestions

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there any way to play Blu-ray on iMac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there any way to play Blu-ray on iMac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You will have to

In reply to: Is there any way to play Blu-ray on iMac

You will have to buy an external bluray drive, and I'm only aware of one designed specifically to work with Macs, which didn't get the greatest of reviews. Apple was in the HD-DVD camp and still pouting about bluray winning. Don't expect to ever see a bluray drive in a Mac. Apple is slowly extricating itself from the computer business as it is, and so by the time the DVD format more or less went away, they'll probably only have one or two MacBook Air models left for sale which don't have optical drives anyway.

Collapse -
Apple has a slow step

In reply to: You will have to

Apple has really a slow step on Blu-ray. As for the above three tools, i test them on my iMac with the The Rise of Ape, external Samsung SE-506AB BD drive. The free VLC player said that it can't open the file, the DVDFab BD player and the Macgo Blu-ray player is just working well. Both tools are all media players, the deference between them are that one is limited with using days, the other with watermark when playback. Apple sooner or later will let their Blu-ray be in one part of its service, because customers need that.

Collapse -
Don't bet on it

In reply to: Apple has a slow step

Don't bet on it. Apple will more likely just stop shipping units with optical drives before they ship units with bluray drives.

Collapse -
I would not bet on this.

In reply to: Apple has a slow step

The move is to no optical drives as they are no longer needed.
Bob

Collapse -
Partially correct.

In reply to: You will have to

Actually, Apple was a member of the Blu-Ray group from the get-go. It was Microsoft that was in the HD DVD camp, having an optional HD DVD drive available for the XBox. Apple just never released any Macs with BD support, as Jobs famously referred to Blu Ray as a "bag of hurt."

Collapse -
Answer
Sure. Here's how I do it.

In reply to: Is there any way to play Blu-ray on iMac

I bought an external BD drive (an LG model) and my iMac running 10.6.8 recognized it just fine. Then I do one of 2 things:

1. Rip the Blu-Ray disc to the hard drive using MakeMKV (free) and play the MKV with VLC, or
2. Get a software blu-ray player and just play the BD directly through it onto the Mac display. Here are a couple of links for commercial players: www.macblurayplayer.com and www.dvdfab.com/mac-blu-ray-player.htm

Collapse -
thanks for your testing

In reply to: Sure. Here's how I do it.

i install all of them except the MakeMKV, so i download and test it, it said the Blu-ray ripping is a shareware feature and you can only use that free for 30 days. lol. The point is that the size of a Blu-ray it too large to rip, it may cost time. i don't want take time for that(just guess, not testing).
As for the Macgo and DVDfab, both are OK, i using them now and may get one of them with the full version when the giveaway is available.
PS: The operation of DVDfab 1.0 is kinda mechanical.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.