Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is there an Entomologist in the room.....

by Mac McMullen / July 14, 2005 6:36 AM PDT

What is this ? Might be an answer to the energy problem. Put a saddle on it.

I assume it is an insect

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there an Entomologist in the room.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there an Entomologist in the room.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gil Grissom Would Know..
by gooslojo / July 14, 2005 6:43 AM PDT

Looks like a lightening bug to me,wearing a black leather jacket.

Collapse -
It looks like a longhorn beetle....
by C1ay / July 14, 2005 9:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Or a White Spotted Sawyer which doesn't have distinct white
by Ziks511 / July 20, 2005 11:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Check state university depts.
by Willy / July 14, 2005 10:23 PM PDT

I've googled away to find out what is insect(s) on my rural area. Usually the state university has an idea, but if you "kill and package(under their guidelines)" the unknown inscet and send it in, they'll for a small fee will determine what it is.

My last query were for "oak galls", a small version of Mexican jumping beans. I was amazed to find hundreds if not thousnads(probably millions) of small beads moving. On closer inspection, noted they were little lavre(inside) that attach to oak tree leaves which produce a "gall" a small bead that they lose or like to to rid of the them. -----Willy

Collapse -
We call them
by Glenda / July 16, 2005 3:36 AM PDT

Japanese Beetles out here:) They are some really nasty bugs!!!

Collapse -
Looks like the Asian Long-Horned Beetle that is infesting
by Ziks511 / July 16, 2005 7:50 AM PDT

and killing Toronto's trees. There's a strong push on to remove all dead and diseased trees here in order to limit its habitat and help control it. It may also be just a more innocuous domestic variety of the same species. Check with your local Tree cultivators or the people at Public Works who deal with trees and parks, or the nearest University or Natural History Museum.

Rob

Collapse -
Seems theyve infected parts of the US, too
by Dragon / July 18, 2005 4:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
What kind trees?
by drpruner / July 19, 2005 9:25 AM PDT

A caveat as well: Out here it's pine bark beetles and a [possibly associated] fungus. An infested tree is a goner, and the trees have to be harvested carefully to avoid killing the agents before they can spread to adjacent trees. Drought stress lets 'em get started.

Collapse -
Here's the link, doesn't look like it's Mac's culprit. as it
by Ziks511 / July 20, 2005 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: What kind trees?

is much dressier looking (all those white spots and striped antennae). Its about 2 inches long. http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/trees/
It's mostly deciduous trees that are being attacked, certain areas have been denuded of cover in the campaign to remove infested trees.

Rob

Collapse -
All flavours of maple, black locust, horse chestnut
by Ziks511 / July 20, 2005 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: What kind trees?
Collapse -
Yes, there is!
by drpruner / July 19, 2005 9:36 AM PDT

Let's see ... ''ento'' prefix plus connective plus ''ology'' study of ...

Never mind.
Happy

Collapse -
Another attacker
by Dragon / July 20, 2005 11:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
"tree sanitation" when did you ever expect that to become
by Ziks511 / July 20, 2005 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Another attacker

an issue. I thought they breathed out their waste product, oxygen, and it just disappated in the atmosphere, no harm, no foul. Now apparently we've got to indulge in potty training for the vegetally challenged. Will political correctness never end!

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!