Mac OS forum

General discussion

Is there a way to upgrade Tiger to Leopard?

by py52126 / April 2, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

I'm thinking about switching over to leopard. I'm posting here because I'm not sure of what to do? I have read that in order to switch over to leopard, I would have to do a clean install of the operating system. I would like to know if there was anyway to switch to leopard without losing my data? I understand that I can make a clone of my current system and move the files over that way, but if there is some faster way to do this without moving the files I would greatly appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a way to upgrade Tiger to Leopard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a way to upgrade Tiger to Leopard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why would you need to reinstall?
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2011 5:23 AM PDT

Why would you need to reinstall, or do a fresh install to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5?

Collapse -
There most certainly is,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 5:23 AM PDT

all you require is a copy of the Leopard, 10.5.x, Operating System and 45mins of spare time.

Having said that, you didn't mention what version of OS X you are currently using.

Pass that along and we'll see if it makes any difference

Collapse -
Ooops, my bad,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 5:24 AM PDT

I see that it is Tiger that you are currently running.

Just get the Leopard installation disk, boot from it and install Leopard.

All your data and settings will be preserved

Collapse -
Upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard
by Foo / April 6, 2011 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Ooops, my bad,

Was told at the Apple Store that there would be not enough memory to upgrade

Collapse -
That statement is not very helpful,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 10:04 AM PDT

given that we have no idea what Mac you are talking about, the size of the Hard Drive, the amount of free space or anything vaguely useful.

Unless, of course, you are the original poster and have changed your name.

Upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard requires a number of things to be in place, not the least of which is available space to install it.

Collapse -
Not to mention
by Jimmy Greystone / April 6, 2011 10:17 AM PDT

Not to mention the OP was about LEOPARD, not SNOW LEOPARD. Barring some correction on the part of the OP about them meaning SNOW Leopard, I'll go with what they said.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?