Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Is there a way to make Firefox start up with Windows?

by sneakysnake128 / January 31, 2009 3:31 PM PST

Hi, I want to know if I can somehow make Firefox boot up with my computer. My pathetic computer takes 10 minutes to start up from shutdown and a good amount of time loading up Firefox as well when I double click it right after the desktop becomes available. I usually go and do something else while this happens, but I want to be able to hit the ground (surf the web?) running using Firefox by the time I come back. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Yes but,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 7:49 PM PST

doing so will not speed up Startup. it will just add the times already noted by you into one continuous period.

How to add Firefox to Startup;

Find your Firefox icon, and drag it to the Start menu, hold and pause, and when the menu appears, drag it up to All programs, hold and pause, and when the All programs list displays, drag it to the Startup folder, hold, and when the contents of that folder displays, drag it across and release.

Perhaps there are things you can do to improve Startup times? Tell us more about this computer, and what items you already have in that Startup folder, and also in the Startup tab of the System Configuration Editor, (Start > Run, type in msconfig, click OK).

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks, but No Thanks
by sneakysnake128 / February 1, 2009 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Yes but,

Thanks for the info. My msconfig startup is full of the essentials I need. I've gotten used to the slowness of my computer for the most part, after much physical abuse to the accursed thing. (a laptop that already had a screen that was broken and wouldn't turn on and now has to be connected to a monitor)

Collapse -
In that case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 6:47 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks, but No Thanks

you have your answer to how to set Firefox to load at Startup.

It will slow startup times down, but you appear to accept this.

Back in history, when the Netscape browser was popular, there was an option to have Netscape load certain components at Startup to allow the browser to load faster, but I can find no QuickStart option for Firefox.

One thing that can slow Firefox down when loading initially is a large number of Add-ons, or Add-ons that connect to the internet to check for updates. However, once Firefox is fully loaded into memory, starting it again in any session is usually faster.

You could test this. If you disable add-ons one at a time and reload Firefox, you may be able to find which one is slowing load up.

Mark

Collapse -
Keep extensions/themes to minimum
by DaComboMan / February 13, 2009 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: In that case

After discussing this elsewhere,
the best is to keep extensions to a minimum.

Firetray or Minimize to tray (more recent experimental version for FF and Thunderbird) may be an easy way to keep Firefox onhand.

Collapse -
Etentions are no problem
by Ecrume / December 14, 2011 7:08 AM PST

I'm running windows vista and have around 20 add-ons/themes for Firefox. It usually starts up in the blink of an eye. (I have my computer running the "endurance" setting with a plug-in so I rarely shut it down.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!