PC Hardware forum

Question

Is there a way to fix this ???

by fixfixfix11 / May 11, 2011 3:33 AM PDT

Hi,

The problem is that I accidentally tripped over my headphone cord which damaged the front Headphones female jack. Shocked

Is there a way to fix it ? Are those things a sold separately ? I mean the PCB on with everything mounted on it namely two jacks & two usb connectors.

Is there any other way ? Like a workaround or something ?

Please reply.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a way to fix this ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a way to fix this ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Without make and exact model number all I can offer is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
PC SPECS
by fixfixfix11 / May 11, 2011 6:28 AM PDT
Assembled PC

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X 2 5600+
Graphics : Geforce 9500 Gt Vram 1 GB
Motherboard : msi k9m6pgm2-v2
HDD : Seagate 160 GB

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will try this http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CX-ICR-021&cat=FLM first as it will cost much less, then I will try to find the usb sound device you have mentioned.
Collapse -
Ahh, a desktop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: PC SPECS

While I can't find that motherboard I can bet it has some spare PCI slot which you can then install a normal PCI sound card for (still) very little.

You can look at newegg, frys, geeks.com for such and all the usual 10 buck cards should be fine.

ONE LAST THING. I have to disable the onboard sound card when I install these replacements.

ANOTHER ONE LAST THING. It is possible that we have motherboard connections that we could get some I/O panel to connect to but I fear the lack of information on the board and that no two motherboards seem to get wired up the same may cause that to be far harder than a card or USB sound thing.
Bob

Collapse -
New Sound Card ??
by fixfixfix11 / May 11, 2011 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, a desktop.

My onboard sound card is working just fine. Its connected to a 2.1 via the rear line out jack.

The problem is with the front panel jack which cam with the cabinet. That one is damaged.

Collapse -
Then you look for a case or something like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: New Sound Card ??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811996006

It took many posts to get here. I think this is something your first year electronics tech could fix and maybe a few parts.

Do you have a friend that has the usual solder iron, wire clippers and basic electronic knowledge? If not then you replace the case or card or get a thing like this link.
Bob
Collapse -
Answer
Ports
by Willy / May 11, 2011 5:02 AM PDT

You offer nothing in what that frt. panel is installed on what PC. It all depends on that. If this is some OEM type PC, then order from the maker. -OR- get on eBay and see what's available or 2nd hand market place. If you have space available like an open 3.5/5.25 drive bay, you can even upgrade and install a multimedia setup. Those vary and can be simple or more feature laden, An example like so(or similar):

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion
by fixfixfix11 / May 11, 2011 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Ports
Collapse -
Just ideas
by Willy / May 11, 2011 12:46 PM PDT

The same can be found as an USB type ext. box. That box connected to some open USB port or routed from inside allows that ext. box to be usable. As the website Geeks.com provides much what can be had. While your sources are tied to India, etc., I don't see this as too much of a hindrance once found. ------Willy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?