Desktops forum

General discussion

Is there a way to add more ram slots without a new mother bo

I never have seen any but I have heard of pcs that have a huge amount of ram. and vista 64 says it can have like 124 gb or something like that (obviously i dont have the 10000 to shell out for such a uselessly high amount, but i would like to add some otherwise this is kind of a useless os upgrade for me.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a way to add more ram slots without a new mother bo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a way to add more ram slots without a new mother bo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you check crucial.com?

In reply to: Is there a way to add more ram slots without a new mother bo

To see what your machine supports?

Collapse -
old PCs yes, newer PCs no

there were risers in the 80s that could expand one slot into 2 or 4 slots, but there's no reason for this with modern PCs since 2gb (and even 4gb) dimms are available.

Collapse -
are there any 2 gig ddr2 dual channle single stincks?

In reply to: old PCs yes, newer PCs no

i couldnt find any and thats what mine uses. also is there away for it to use the ramm on another pc thats not running anything other than windows?

Collapse -
depends on type

In reply to: are there any 2 gig ddr2 dual channle single stincks?

Collapse -
haha

In reply to: depends on type

so funny reading this now, in 2014
common now is DDR3-1600, highest is a 16GB 3GHz chip Grin

Collapse -
But big chip are EXPENSIVE!

In reply to: old PCs yes, newer PCs no

I have 128's coming out my ears (yeah, I know, don't get smart.) and a few 256's, and it would be nice to put them to use. Computer only has 2 slots and even a couple of 512's are out of my budget range right now. Suggestions?

Collapse -
Just so we know.

In reply to: But big chip are EXPENSIVE!

You state it's expensive. I can't tell what country you are in but for 35 bucks I think newegg.com had a 2GB pair for sale. Here, that is not expensive. In closing you might have some old RDRAM board but didn't tell.
Bob

Collapse -
Only one ram slot in my laptop

Only one ram slot in my laptop can i add another slot without change mother board ..i have two ram but in my laptop only single ram slot please suggest how to add both ram in my laptop or suggest any adapter available i market if yes so where or can i purchase online shop..

Collapse -
Please keep your posts in plain view.

In reply to: Only one ram slot in my laptop

This one is buried under an 8 year old discussion. Top post so all can see it and add the make, model of your machine.

Also, see if Crucial.com has some RAM for this machine.

Collapse -
Don't you believe it.

Very likely it will use no more than 8GB...unless maybe you play with the BIOS. Personally I don't like to play with the bios. RAM are cheap, just get memory per stick.

Collapse -
(NT) Oop, 2008, sorry.

In reply to: Don't you believe it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.