Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Is there a way i can restore all default computer files?

I have Vista home premium(32-bit). which also btw wats the difference if its 64-bit or 32-bit? but anyway i want to know if there is a way to restore like all default files with reformatting it. One time i had a virus so i went into like files my anti-virus was showing and deleted sum files. which was very stupid. but i can't go back. and like now i'm having problems updated other progrems like itunes b/c it can't find itd files b/c i deleted it. any help out there for me at all?

-Vicky (i'm 14.5 so um be easy on me =])

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a way i can restore all default computer files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a way i can restore all default computer files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kinda, sorta, maybe...

In reply to: Is there a way i can restore all default computer files?

With Windows XP that would be a 'Yes' given its repair installation option. Vista, however, omits that valuable feature, so the question does not have a clearcut answer. You can run System File Checker to repair/replace key system files, but that does not restore 'all' default computer files. The only way to do restore all of the original files would be to see if the manufacturer included a way to perform a non-destructive recovery from the hidden recovery partition. That would leave your files/settings/documents but repair Windows, reinstall any original third-party software, etc.

As to choosing between 32-bit and 64-bit editions, the key differences to note are:
-> 32-bit only support 4GB of RAM while 64-bit exceeds 128GB
-> 64-bit has less driver support, so less hardware works with it
-> 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor and only provides performance gains with specially-designed software

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
thx

In reply to: Kinda, sorta, maybe...

Okay thank you so much. i'll look into that. and see how it goes.

and also so basicly 32-bit is better for the normal web browsing computer users?

Collapse -
Not exactly

In reply to: thx

Not exactly. For most people, there's no real functional difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit Vista. The 64-bit Vista is a transitional thing. It gives hardware makers, and users, a chance to get used to the idea before it becomes "mandatory" in the next version of Windows.

While I don't know that there's any confirmation that the next Windows will be 64-bit only, it almost goes without saying. Computers with 4-8GB of RAM are becoming increasingly common, and by the time the next Windows is ready for release, a 32-bit version would seem very crippled. However, if Microsoft does things correctly, you won't be able to tell that you're running a 64-bit OS instead of a 32-bit one.

Collapse -
FYI: Windows 7 will be available as 32-bit and 64-bit.

In reply to: Not exactly

After that, though...

John

Collapse -
Well that's stupid

In reply to: FYI: Windows 7 will be available as 32-bit and 64-bit.

Well that's stupid of them. Time to rip the band-aid off. Oh well, they already screwed up by deciding to try and squeeze another release out of the Vista codebase, so what's one more little thing?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.