Question

Is there a router that lets you turn wireless on and off?

Our small rural library has a wireless router provided by at&t that connects our staff computer and 2 internet computers internally with ADSL 6mg.We have a problem with the 2 days that we are open to public in that the outside users that get our wireless signal as far away as 2 blocks get on their computers and bump the computers in the library off, or slow them way down, even though they are wired directly to the router. I would like to be able to turn off the wireless on the days we are open, or even reduce the signal to maybe the immediate area around the library. Our library software is hosted, and this is frustrating to say the least! Password protecting is not an option as our library director wants to make it available to public. Does anyone know of an option? Thanks for your input.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is there a router that lets you turn wireless on and off?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is there a router that lets you turn wireless on and off?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
So far, ALL wifi routers have an off setting.

I can only guess some tech won't check the manual. Go figure.

- Collapse -
Is there a router that lets you turn wireless off and on?

Let me clarify. I know they have on/off settings, and buttons that let you turn them off. I need one that has a way to turn ONLY the wifi portion off, allowing the router to be used for the 3 wired computers. P.S. we didn't get a manual. If you had read the post, it said the router was provided by AT&T, setup by AT&T., only now they won't service.Before you jump on that one....we are a RURAL, small town public library. no other options available.

- Collapse -
Manual

The problem is you can't ask the question that generically. It is almost impossible for someone to guess the type of router att provided you. They use lots of them and they change constantly.

You should be able to find the answer very quickly. Go look at the device and get the model number then search for that model and manual. The manual will tell how to do what you want. The manual is always your best source for information since it has pictures of the screens. Even if someone knew exactly how to do it is almost impossible to describe the screens to someone over the forums.

- Collapse -
Manual-New!

thanks.

- Collapse -
WE CAN DO THIS!!! HERE'S HOW.

Keep your router AS-IS with the wifi turned off. Now add ONE MORE WIFI ROUTER but configure it as a WAP (or just buy a WAP?) The reason I use a common router as a WAP is that it's cheap, cheap and cheap.

Now with your wifi router set up as a WAP, you can turn off the wifi by turning off this WAP's power.

Done.
Bob

- Collapse -
we can do this

Thanks, I will give it a try! Grin

CNET Forums