Storage forum

General discussion

Is there a product that can ?

by no1beyondfan / May 28, 2010 8:18 AM PDT

Is there a product that is a usb but be controlled wirelessly?

For example i have a laptop and i want to send some music to my usb stick which is attached to my hifi...

Basicly that usb is flash drive with wifi capabilities? but using my laptop remotely add and remove files from that folder?

Thanks people!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a product that can ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a product that can ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does it show with a drive letter?
by Steven Haninger / May 28, 2010 8:32 AM PDT

If so, you just share it and do file transfers in the normal way.

Collapse -
re
by no1beyondfan / May 28, 2010 8:38 AM PDT

what can i buy that can do this?

Collapse -
sorry yes it does show a drive
by no1beyondfan / May 28, 2010 8:43 AM PDT

The hifi has a 7 inch screen... i can watch dvds on it.. cds etc and usb ...

thats why i want to buy a usb that allows me to remotely update it with music?

Collapse -
Guess I'm missing something here
by Steven Haninger / May 28, 2010 9:41 AM PDT

You're saying that your USB stick has wifi capable and that you can plug it into your hifi and that it does show as a drive letter. But now, I'm wondering if you're really saying you want such a device. I'm also not understanding what a hifi is. Hifi is an acronym for "high fidelity" and refers to a type of music system but you're saying you watch DVDs on it. Maybe you'd be better give more details about what you actually have with brand names and model numbers.

Collapse -
sorry let me explain....
by no1beyondfan / May 28, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

I have NOT got this usb device... and I wanted to clarify if this product existed?

Apologies for the lack of information, I really appreciate your help.

1. My laptop is VGN-NS30Z Sony:

2. My Hifi (Sound System) is:
# Acoustic Solutions Hifi With Built In 7" Dvd Player
Link: http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/acoustic-solutions-hifi-with-built-in-7-dvd-player_1_43410.html

Now I want to BUY something (usb) that attaches to the hifi,
something (usb) to attach to my laptop....
so i can remotely update the usb attached to the hifi with content from my laptop.

????

Thank You

Collapse -
The nice things about USB-sticks ...
by Kees Bakker / May 28, 2010 10:11 PM PDT

and removable hard drives that you can so easily move them around.

So it is not a very big nuisance, I think, to put in your desktop/laptop to manage the contents and when you're ready with that put it back in the player to play the content.
That would be a very good workaround for the non-existance of another device that would allow wireless updating from another source while connected to the player.

Kees

Collapse -
but i am lazy
by no1beyondfan / May 29, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

haha but i am very lazy... and for example a party.. i can control the music from my laptop...

is there such a product?

Collapse -
I'd have to go with no
by Steven Haninger / May 29, 2010 9:28 PM PDT

Or at least not yet and not for your hifi. In order to do this, the usb stick would need to be much more than a wifi device with memory. It would need a processor, operating system and more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.