HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is there a law against?

by maggiea43 / March 20, 2008 8:09 AM PDT

I have been trying to find an answer to this for several months now with no luck. The question is, can Hillery pick Bill for her running mate? Everyone says no, because it's against the law. But, no one can tell me where to find this law. Then they say no, because if something happens to her, he would be President, and he can't be Pres. That's why I want to see the law. I know he can't run for Pres. but could he be put in the position to become Pres. These are two different situations. So, if anyone has the answer, I would assume they could also show me the law. Anyone know?....Maggie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a law against?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a law against?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No because.....
by Angeline Booher / March 20, 2008 8:24 AM PDT

....... the Vice President is a heartbeat away from being the President.

Hope this helps.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Are you saying no there is no law,
by maggiea43 / March 20, 2008 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No because.....

or no he can't be her running mate? Maggie

Collapse -
Have you read
by critic411 / March 20, 2008 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: No because.....

the Constitution lately??

Collapse -
this might help
by WOODS-HICK / March 20, 2008 8:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
From what I'm understanding,
by maggiea43 / March 20, 2008 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: this might help

a person can't be "Elected". That means he can't run again. It doesn't mean he can't be Vice President". It doesn't address this at all. So it seems to me this could be used as a "loop
hole" if they decided to do this. As far as it making it possible for him to become Pres.if something happened, being placed and being elected are two totally different things.....Maggie

Collapse -
heres the read i get
by Elijah . / March 20, 2008 8:49 AM PDT

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
He can't. He is constitutionally ineligible to be President under the terms of the 22nd Amendment, since he served two elected terms. Therefore he cannot serve as Vice President, because of that ineligibility as outlined in the 12th Amendment. No one can serve as Vice President if he is constitutionally ineligible to serve as President . That's what the 12th Amendment says. No wiggling room. No debate.

* 1 week ago

Source(s):

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080307100547AAbDPoh

Collapse -
Very good...
by maggiea43 / March 20, 2008 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: heres the read i get

I read some of the posts there, and this one falls in line with my thinking. Don't know how acurate it is, but this is basiclly what I was wondering.....

Block User

I've heard a lot of discussion of this point, and actually it's a legal gray area.

Clinton can't be president again but there's no law that he can't be vice president. Some experts seem to think he could be elected as vice president and then if Hillary died he would be passed over and the presidency would go to the Speaker of the House.

And of course it should be pointed out that The 22nd Amendment, fixing term limits for the president, says that a person can't be ELECTED president more than twice. It doesn't say that an ex-president can't become president by succession.

If Hillary got the nomination and picked Bill for VP (unlikely but I guess possible) the Republicans would immediately bring a lawsuit to have him declared disqualified for the post. The Supreme Court, whose job it is to interpret the Constitution, would decide, and their decision would be final. THIS Supreme Court would probably decide that it was illegal for -any- Democrat to be vice president.

Collapse -
Remember, Elijah,...
by Paul C / March 20, 2008 9:07 AM PDT

...you're talking about the Clintstones here. If there's a way for them to regain and retain power, they'll find it.

Count on much litigation were Miss Hillaruh to get to that point...

Collapse -
Using "Ask Yahoo" is almost
by critic411 / March 20, 2008 9:07 AM PDT

as bad as using WIKI as definitive sources.

Collapse -
but
by Elijah . / March 20, 2008 9:12 AM PDT

its telling the the facts right
do you disagree?
as its in the constitution
unless your going to re write it

the only thing bill can do if shes elected is help pick out the dinnerware
of course i think he will be the puppet master

Collapse -
that was my take
by WOODS-HICK / March 20, 2008 11:41 AM PDT

which is why I said: "might."

apparently those who have read the constitution do not have an answer for you. also 21st century possibilities are not presented in that document. the link provided which amendments applied to your question.

after reading your later posts and Elijah's; your conclusion that it is an untested gray area is correct IMNHO.

nyc mayor giuliani tried to convince voters that he should be elected to an unlawful third term. he claimed he was too valuable and new york would crumble without him.

well the rest is history and bloomberg was swept into office and the statue of liberty is still holding her lamp up to the world. and we all know how mayor giuliani's presidential bid went: quick.

Collapse -
the constitution
by Jstanley. / March 20, 2008 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: that was my take

states he cant run as vp

Collapse -
welcome aboard Jstanley
by WOODS-HICK / March 20, 2008 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: the constitution

glad this post caught your eye immediately.

I guess you will just have to show us: why and why not.

is it the US Constitution? you were not clear.

Collapse -
as the op was about the us vp
by Jstanley. / March 20, 2008 1:57 PM PDT

i would think so but then again im a fast learner and as im new hi friend said this was a warm and friendly forum

Collapse -
that is all true
by WOODS-HICK / March 20, 2008 2:11 PM PDT

now answer the question if you wish you know the one that started this discussion saying it is in the constitution is vague there are many words in the constitution I am comfortable with my answer you should give your detailed answer the originator it was not my query please answer any questions I may have in the future I am looking forward to the next encounter

Collapse -
Where in the constitution
by maggiea43 / March 20, 2008 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: the constitution

does it say he can't be vice president? I can't find it. Would you please tell me where it is?....Maggie

Collapse -
Try this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 11:04 PM PDT
http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_Am12.html . The very last sentence.

"But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States".

Sorry, just saw your post appear in the Latest Posts list and it got me wondering. Happy

Mark
Collapse -
thank you mark
by Jstanley. / March 20, 2008 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

for your post

Collapse -
Thank you, Mark...
by maggiea43 / March 21, 2008 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

This is the first answer that answers my question!! Now, if they pull this off, we will know that our Constitution is down the drain. Will be interesting to watch....Maggie

Collapse -
Arrogance - Ego - Definition of "is"...........
by Mac McMullen / March 20, 2008 9:13 AM PDT

Anyone care to honestly believe the Clinton's haven't at least seriously
considered such a move ?

Collapse -
that defines our current president also
by WOODS-HICK / March 20, 2008 9:25 AM PDT

your subject line.

and the bush dynasty just breeds presidents. do you really think GWB would be the president of the USA without his parents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.