General discussion

Is there a good free registry program?

I downloaded one that was suppose to be free but of course all the things that I needed to be deleted can only be deleted if you buy the full program. I was just wondering if there is a good "free" one out there.

Thanks for your help

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is there a good free registry program?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is there a good free registry program?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Is there a good free registry program?
- Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
- Collapse -
Vic. Check the forum policies.

I deleted you post due to a slight issue of your post and this passage:

"Vic Ferri is owner of the popular Wintips&Tricks (support group and newsletter) and many of his articles have been published by ABC and TechTrax where he is an author. He is also the creator of Lock&Hide.
His main service is Powerpoint to Exe."

By offering this competing service you run afoul of this Forum policy:

" We won't allow people to use our site to promote a competing service any more than a brick-and-mortar store would allow his competitor to paste flyers all over his walls."

Just drop the reference to your site and you'll be fine.

Bob

- Collapse -
JV16

This Prg. by this Swedish guy is fabulous have used various versions for years.
Search for JV16 download and be happy and it's FREE

- Collapse -
file extentions restored by Uniblue?

Hi
When I come up to a unknown file extention, registry cleaners are recommended. Can they really fix the registry of windows XP so that all file extentions are recogbnized? Such as SHP = 3D Image? Uniblue is recommended by C/Net for this.

Rolf

- Collapse -
No...

The registry cleaner will delete entries relating to extensions that are "unused" but it won't associate an extension with a program. The reason is three-fold:
1.) The level of analysis to determine every extension in use, which applications use it, where those applications are stored, etc. generally isn't worth it.
2.) An extension could be used by different apps for entirely different purposes. For instance, a .wpf file: Is it a WordPerfect text file or a WorldPort Fax file? (Don't try opening one with the other.)
3.) When it encounters a .txt file, should it assume you prefer Notepad, Wordpad, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, Microsoft Works, or another installed program?

John

- Collapse -
thanks

Thanks John

I only wonder why the Uniblue registry Booster claims to enable all the extentions in M/S Windows registry? I am happy to spend the 30.00 Dollars for the software, but need to know beforehand that it can do the job. I cannot see how.

Rolf

- Collapse -
I don't see that in the description...

I'm wondering where that claim is made (product documentation, advertisement on a certain website, etc) and exactly how it's worded...companies frequently design advertisements cleverly to make the products appear better without actually lying. You can download a free trial, though, and see just what it would do for you before buying.

John

- Collapse -
Registry fixers

John

When I tried to open an extention, windows ask me to search online for it and I was directed to several Registry fixers.

Rolf

- Collapse -
Ah, ok...

That's just an automatic tools that suggests programs related to the particular extension searched for. It's meant to help you find/purchase software needed to open the particular file if you don't have such already, not as a list of tools that will prevent future such 'issues.' Thus, I wouldn't recommend spending the money on one of the listed registry cleaners as they won't live up to the expectations.

John

- Collapse -
thanks again John

That's what I thought. I have to search now for a utility that can decipher it.

- Collapse -
For that purpose...

I like filext.com, which will present a list of all possible file types that correspond to that extension, and in most cases then list applciations that can open it accordingly.

John

- Collapse -
thanks John

thanks for that help

GOD bless,

rolf

CNET Forums