Peripherals forum

Question

Is there a film scanner for 120 (6 x 6) negatives?

by Russell9999 / September 3, 2011 3:29 PM PDT

I do not need one for professional use but good quality preferred

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a film scanner for 120 (6 x 6) negatives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a film scanner for 120 (6 x 6) negatives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You mean the old Brownie format??
by Steven Haninger / September 4, 2011 12:39 AM PDT

and are you looking for a dedicated film type or a flatbed with the proper adapter. My Epson flatbed will do that size and I know Nikon makes dedicated film scanners that will do that format.

Collapse -
Film scanner
by Russell9999 / September 4, 2011 9:19 AM PDT

Hi Steve. Old Yashica in my case but about the Brownie era! I have about 1500 negatives to scan and have a flatbed scanner in my multi-function printer which is good enough for my otherwise scanning needs. Film strip printer preferred as I don't want to spend the time cutting the negatives into individual negs unless necessary. Good to have one to also scan 35mm mounted slides. I can see that there are plenty of 35mm only scanners on the internet but the only info on 120 also is about 5 years old. Don't need the scanner after I've scanned all my photos.

Collapse -
This would probably do it
by Steven Haninger / September 4, 2011 7:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Film scanner
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Film-Scanners/9237/Super-COOLSCAN-9000-ED.html

Notice no price listed. You probably don't want to know.

I had a slide/film adapter in my older HP flatbed but the results were disappointing. I currently have an Epson V600 which is far and above a better film and slide scanner. It's a very labor intensive process as I found when scanning the slides from about a dozen Kodak Carousel projector cartridges and a ton of 35mm negatives. I was pleased with the results but worn out. My scanner has an adapter that looks like it would hold 4 120 frames. One nice thing about this one is that it will find and create a file for each frame and I can view and make minor corrections before scanning. It also has what's called "digital ICE" technology which is can remove a lot of the dust missed by one's cleaning methods but this does add scanning time. You want to do this while you've other activities and not just sit in front of the PC.

In any event, I don't envy the task facing you. You might want to see what it would cost to have it done professionally rather than invest in hardware that might cost more than farming out the work. Good luck.
Collapse -
Film scanner
by Russell9999 / September 5, 2011 10:54 AM PDT

Thanks Steven, for your time and response.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.