Peripherals forum

General discussion

Is there a big difference b/t VGA and DVI inputs?

I'm looking at picking up a 19" lcd, probably widescreen, and although my video card supports DVI output, the monitors with the lowest prices have VGA only. Plus having to buy a cable makes getting DVI more expensive. So is it worth it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a big difference b/t VGA and DVI inputs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a big difference b/t VGA and DVI inputs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes theres a difference

In reply to: Is there a big difference b/t VGA and DVI inputs?

vga has a 15 pin connector and if ya look real close ..it will look like yer missing a tiny little pin . dont be alarmed.. dvi connectors have many more pins

Collapse -
Sorry, not really what I was looking for

In reply to: yes theres a difference

Guess I didn't make myself clear, but what I was trying to find out is if there was a significant difference in image qualty/performance between the two. But after reading a number of articles it doesn't seem like there is.

Collapse -
Its marginal

In reply to: Sorry, not really what I was looking for

DVI devices are supposed to have more clear image quality, as compared to VGA.

Collapse -
Big Difference.

The image quality with DVI is much better than VGA.
There are some lower priced LCDs that come with both DVI and VGA inputs.
Some also come with the DVI cable in the box.
If you are upgrading to LCD, spend a few extra dollars and get a good one such as Viewsonic, Samsung or NEC. Speaking from experience, you won't be sorry.
Compusa has a 19" Viewsonic wide screen with everything you want listed for $249.99.
That is just an example and I am sure there are others out there.

Collapse -
There may not be a difference, depending on various factors

DVI has more of a noticeable benefit for very high resolutions/refresh rates. I have a Hanns-G 19" widescreen LCD I bought from newegg.com for $183 that supports both VGA and DVI and since my laptop only has VGA output, that's what I use, and the picture is still perfect. I tried it with my brother's desktop with DVI and VGA and they both looked the same. He has a Radeon X800 series graphics card. Also, my monitor came with a DVI cable, as I think most do. So shop somewhere like newegg.com or maybe tigerdirect.com (I usually prefer newegg) and you'll find a great deal and not have to worry about whether to go with DVI.

Collapse -
DVI vs VGA

I have 5 computers throughout my house. Two are DVI which includes a MAC. If you are doing extensive writing of text or research, I would strongly suggest the DVI for the clarity. You will notice the DVI on a desktop monitor to look more like the display of a laptop which is inherently DVI.

DVI cables are inexpensive if you order through Newegg or Tiger Direct. The display is the most critical component on any system and to go "cheap" here makes no sense....

Collapse -
Difference b/t VGA and DVI inputs

I'm no expert on the diffs tween VGA & DVI but if your system is older, your budget limited, etc. look at an ACER AL2016W. Maybe you don't need DVI. The ACER was only 250.00 @CDW.
It's letterbox in display size, vga resolutions up to 1920x1200 and has exceptional clarity. Playing a DVD or net video is drastically different from my 19" KDS monitor, and it goes to 1600 x 1200.

Of course output is only as good as the display processor driving the display, but mine is an onboard Geforce4 system (motherboard chip). on a monitor it was good, but on the ACER AL is is great.

Wish the screen had DVI input for future growth, but this one does not. It does give me almost 2 monitors in one, however, when I arrange open windows.

Collapse -
Difference b/t VGA and DVI inputs

In reply to: Difference b/t VGA and DVI inputs

I also have this monitor paired with the Nvidia GeForce 7300GT video card with the DVI. The DVI seems to be much more clear and brighter than the VGA. It's as good as looking at my notebook screen...Get this monitor...you won't be sorry.

Collapse -
DVI-I vs DVI-D

In reply to: Difference b/t VGA and DVI inputs

Is there a difference in DVI-I and DVI-D because my video card uses a DVI-I port and my monitor has a DVI-D port. What kind of wire do I need? I have seen DVI-D cables but I have not been able to find a DVI-I to a DVI-D cable. Can someone help clairify this for me.

Thank you,
Hexi

Collapse -
RE: DVI-I vs DVI-D

In reply to: DVI-I vs DVI-D

The difference between DVI-I and DVI-D is that one of them has extra pins so the DVI output can be used with a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I researched about this some time ago and I can't tell you the meaning of the -I and -D but there's no difference if you're connecting a DVI card to a DVI monitor.
GoodLuck

Collapse -
DVI-I and DVI-D

In reply to: DVI-I vs DVI-D

First of all DVI-I means DVI-A and DVI-D together, 'I' meaning integrated. Graphics cards has DVI-I because it has to support both DVI-D and A and so has a DVI-I. Now you monitor being LCD as no point in supporting DVI-A and so it gives you only a DVI-D port. Now the ports are designed is such a way that a DVI-D cable can be put into a DVI-I and DVI-A also into a DVI-I but not DVI-A into a DVI-D or vice-versa. You cannot use a DVI-I cable also, as the port is meant for the socket but not a cable. You will find this trend of DVI-I in gfx card and DVI-D in monitors very often as that is what they intend to do.

Collapse -
Technical response

Short for Digital Visual Interface, a digital interface standard created by the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG) to convert analog signals into digital signals to accommodate both analog and digital monitors. Data is transmitted using the transition minimized differential signaling (TMDS) protocol, providing a digital signal from the PC's graphics subsystem to the display. The standard specifies a single plug and connector that encompass both the new digital and legacy VGA interfaces, as well as a digital-only plug connector. DVI handles bandwidths in excess of 160 MHz and thus supports UXGA and HDTV with a single set of links. Higher resolutions can be supported with a dual set of links. The most difficult aspect of displaying TV-like images on a computer is overcoming the fact that each frame requires an immense amount of storage. A single frame can require up to 2MB (megabytes) of storage. Televisions display 30 frames per second, which can quickly exhaust a computer's mass storage resources. It is also difficult to transfer so much data to a display screen at a rate of 30 frames per second.

DVI overcomes these problems by using specialized processors to compress and decompress the data. DVI is a hardware -only codec (compression/decompression) technology. A competing hardware codec, which has become much more popular, is MPEG. Intel has developed a software version of the DVI algorithms, which it markets under the name Indeo.

Collapse -
Yes.

Yes.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.