Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Is the U.S. in trouble?

Recent reports indicate that the U.S. is slipping lower in key areas like programming, R&D, etc. Outsourcing is in; in-house is out. Depending on who you listen to, the sky is/isn't falling...and the U.S. technology world (especially IT) may or may not end up cap in hand.

Now, I'd like to ask everyone what you think? Is there a problem? And, if there is, what do you think should be done about it?

Sincerely, JDM

(*And please watch the language! Far too many otherwise great posts get deleted because of a few poorly chosen words.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the U.S. in trouble?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the U.S. in trouble?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IMO. It's pretty true.

In reply to: Is the U.S. in trouble?

For instance, I'm getting more work since they teach not much other than JAVA in the schools now. The embedded world uses assembler and 'C'. It was funny how a recent grad claimed those languages were too hard.

Anyhow, the immediate future jobs look to be in heathcare as the boomers move to retirement age.

Just my opinion. JAVA should be banned from college level coursework.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob!

In reply to: IMO. It's pretty true.

Clear and concise...as always!

Wink JDM

Collapse -
Well...

If Bob and I are the only two people in here who care about this topic, then I guess the U.S. really is in trouble! Apathy may not kill...but it doesn't build strong and successful countries either.

-JDM

Collapse -
I am in and you will hear my point of view very soon!

In reply to: Well...

Thanks for directing me here.

hh

Collapse -
Looking forward to it!

In reply to: I am in and you will hear my point of view very soon!

And please be sure to include whatever changes you would recommend! I always give my consulting clients the following advice: "For every problem you bring me, bring me at least three possible solutions." It starts them thinking, and gets them into the right frame of mind to make positive changes. I think this is useful for anyone.

Sincerely, JDM

Collapse -
Here I go

In reply to: Looking forward to it!

First of all I would like to say that I am foreign born, and have been naturalized as an American citizen. And yes I think we are in trouble. Even though I believe in free trade and competition, what I don't believe is 'unfair' competition. I also feel our good deeds and help to other countries to help them find their way to democracies and free markets should not come at the expense of the American worker. Globalization is fine and should be encouraged, however when we give those countries preferential treatment to access our markets, we have to demand that they have to either invest the monies back in this country or buy raw materials from us. It has to be a zero sum game (both for jobs and trade balance).
We cannot allow the American jobs lost to foreign manufacturing jobs or outsourcing not to be replaced either by other newly created jobs by the same US companies or by foreign corporations.
China for example should be forced to end their unfair competition practices. We should demand either they protect against unlawful manufacture of licenced products and abuse of trademarks or face the closure of our markets to their exports.
Will add more later, do not want to make it too long.

Collapse -
You're off to a good start...

In reply to: Here I go

and I'm listening. I'm sure Bob Proffitt is too--because I know he cares.

You've said that I seem to be a very giving person...and I thank you for that...but I think Bob Proffitt buries me in that department. Just check out his postings on CNET.

Wink JDM

(*I'd like to thank you for speaking up and sharing your opinion with us. Looking forward to your next post!)

Collapse -
Part 2

In reply to: You're off to a good start...

Another reason I think we are in trouble is the education system. I think we are falling behind the rest of the world. It is a catch-22 where certain industries are outsourcing their jobs to other countries such as India and China, and in turn we are not having enough students majoring in engineering and similar high tech fields. Their reasoning is, why bother, there are no jobs in the USA anyway. Even if there are, the pay is so low that it does not appeal to them. My son who is studying engineering at an ivy league college is finding it almost impossible to get a summer internship in that field. On the other hand, with his engineering background, wall street would be very happy to hire him.
What can we do? Well, we have to learn to treat our teachers better, we have to realize their value for the future of our kids and our jobs. Ditto for nurses (even though there I feel we have created a group, with an attitude, that feels we owe them the world, just like in the DMV and the Post office - please take no offense, I don't mean all). When we value a highly paid athlete and make a role model out of them (despite their poor or no education and questionable way of life), we are sending the wrong message to our kids. I know this is a sore point, i.e. pay people for what they are worth, but short term thinking is very dangerous for the long term well being of a country.
The role models should be the teachers, leaders of communities, volunteers, small business owners who create jobs, and even some of our big corporate CEOs that are creating industries, wealth and future leaders in their communities.
This is a very difficult situation which I don't have answers to. I don't know how to solve it. All I know is that we have to have some kind of reward system, such as tax credits, financial help, etc. for students who are majoring in the less desirable courses and for the corporations that hire them.
Unfortunately, we (the USA) cannot be the only country in the world to play by the rules if no other country is doing the same. The same holds true about our 'justice system' to protect terrorists, but that is another subject and I only wanted to make an analogy.
More to come. How about some input from others?

Collapse -
Where can I buy a Compact Flash Card?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.