PC Hardware forum

General discussion

IS THE T9600 MOBILE CPU COMPATIBLE WITH PM965 CHIPSET?

by windows7linux / December 1, 2009 8:43 AM PST

Hello, I was recently thinking of getting an intel T9600 2.8GHz mobile cpu for my msi gx600(PM965 CHIPSET.)My current cpu is the intel T8300 2.4ghz. I know that my chipset is only compatible with cpus with 800mhz FSB, and the T9600 has 1066mhz FSB. Everyone says that the motherboard should downscale the FSB to 800mhz, and I have read on intel forms that the T9600 WILL fit and work in a PM965 CHIPSET. Will I notice any decreases in GHz speed because of FSB downscaling, or will the it stay at the default 2.8Ghz?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IS THE T9600 MOBILE CPU COMPATIBLE WITH PM965 CHIPSET?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IS THE T9600 MOBILE CPU COMPATIBLE WITH PM965 CHIPSET?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 10:04 AM PST
Collapse -
the t9600 will run slower
by ramarc / December 1, 2009 10:28 AM PST

the speed at which your cpu runs is based on a multiplier of the fsb speed. if you reduce the fsb, the cpu speed is also reduced.

800mhz is 25% slower than 1066mhz so your 2.8ghz cpu will run at 2.1ghz.

2.8ghz * (800mhz / 1066mhz) = 2.1ghz

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?