General discussion

Is the sidekick LX a good " first" phone for a 17 yr old?

She's never had a phone before,but wants this for Christmas.Is it worth $300.00?What are the pros and cons of buying this phone?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is the sidekick LX a good " first" phone for a 17 yr old?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is the sidekick LX a good " first" phone for a 17 yr old?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
if....

if he is responsible and knows the value of the phone, i think is good for him. also he likes to txt a lot then yes.

- Collapse -
no way

no way the sidekick is not a good phone to use for a 17 year old a way better phone would be the att tilt or the a moto Q or a blackberry or the t mobile dash

- Collapse -
My thoughts....

I have a 16 yr old daughter who already has a Sidekick 3.

Its a great phone for teens, as it is also for virtual sociolizing. It makes the calls that it needs to, hit the internet, take pictures, MP3 music, has bluetooth, and your daughter can chat all she wants with either AIM/Yahoo. Unless the LX had changed, there is still no MS Messeging support. With it's Favorite 5, can make unlimited calls to any specific 5 numbers...even land lines. I would recommend that if you know that she is going to hit the Internet alot, go for the unlimited internet package that is set for Sidekicks. It will save you in the long run. Also, what ever happens...go for the extended warranty. As popular as sidekicks are...they do get stolen..as my daughter's origionally did. T-mobile is pretty much a no fuss about it...just paid the $150 replacement fee (better than the whole $300) and they sent a new one overnight and send all information, downloaded ringtones, contacts, (not pictures from camera) from her old to replacement SideKick wirelessly.

Only thing that concerns me is more with T-Mobile cell coverage. T-Mobile, as it is, has more spotty places here in the SF Bay Area, compared to that from AT&T.

With that said, my daughter loves hers. She's never away from it. As said before...only thing she complains is the cell coverage. For example...she gets coverage in from of her school...but the back side of it. Even on the outside of it.

One more thing....if your daughter drives as mine does....make it clear that driving is first priority...:-P Put the cell away.

Battery would last about a day with heavy usage, and yes....if your daughter is a texter....be prepared to hear the SideKick go off with endless messages.

Is it worth the $300, yes it is. Will it make your daughter happy...yes..especially if she is asking for it.

Hope that this helps and good luck.

- Collapse -
nice info

wow thx for the info. i couldnt do it better than that. :-D

- Collapse -
(NT) Thanks...only talking from experience.
- Collapse -
thanks

that was very detailed,and yes the LX does have picture messaging and also that new Myspace thing.

- Collapse -
but remenber....

myspace is free until the last minute on december 31 of this year. then next year u will be paying 1.99 monthly.

- Collapse -
yes

that isn't bad,just $1.99 extra.

- Collapse -
well

1.99 plus tax i belive.

- Collapse -
anyway,thank you for your help!

MOST of you hade great input,but really you helped alot.If your daughter enjoys her Sidekick im sure mine will too! Thanks!

- Collapse -
Not a problem.

Always glad to help. Happy

- Collapse -
it's overpriced.

If you want a good smartphone, go with the t mobile dash.

- Collapse -
but

..she dosent want a fancy smartphone,just a cool cell phone.

- Collapse -
all it does is cool

The sidekick is definitely the coolest of cool, but so is something like a blackberry pearl, which, unlike the sidekick, has a user interface that isn't designed entirely around looking good, and therefore aggravating. Plus, the blackberry pearl has plenty of hipster cache and costs half as much.

- Collapse -
Remember...

The SideKick is made for teens and young adults, and for all it's glory...BBs, WM5/6 based smartphones just doesn't have that cool factor. Yes, I know...it's a marketing thing. Besides, the Sidekicks are not as bad as you might think. With everything said and done, SKs are actually reliable and easy to use. in my opinion, only thing that hampers it is the coverage by T-Mobile. But if one has good coverage already, then its not a problem.

- Collapse -
Posts deleted.

I've deleted 3 posts here, by 'castingyou' and 'jgvillan'.

'castingyou's' first post was removed because of language and tone. There's no need to use bad language in these forums. If you cannot say what you want to say without it then don't say anything. Similarly with tone. The post was rude, and derogatory. No need for that.

The two posts below this fell by the wayside because of this deletion. Which is just as well because daggers had been drawn and the duel had begun. That stops now.

This thread has reached the end of its useful life. The OS has received information he requested and he seems satisfied. I am, therefore, locking the discussion.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info