Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

Is the quad core really worth it?

by MATT33333 / August 6, 2011 2:47 AM PDT

Im looking to buy a new laptop and im kinda new at the whole thing. I do want a nice laptop that i can use to run itunes, some games, and internet browsing. I cant spend more than about 900 dollors but it would be nice to spend less. Would getting a quad core prossesor help a lot with these tasks or should i get a lesser one to save the money?k

MATT33333 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the quad core really worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the quad core really worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by MATT33333

Collapse -
GAMES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 12:54 PM PDT

What games? Those new 3D stuff will likely blow the budget.

And those 3D games rarely tap the full power of the dual core CPUs but really hit the GPU hard.
Bob

Collapse -
games
by MATT33333 / August 6, 2011 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: GAMES.
Collapse -
Still in review.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: games
Collapse -
games
by MATT33333 / August 7, 2011 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Still in review.

ok thanks. Also, will that computer be able to run games like those or will it be unable? Is this a good price for a computer this power? Thanks again im kinda new at this.

Collapse -
Looking at the GPU alone, it's no gamer machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: games
Collapse -
by MATT33333 / August 7, 2011 8:06 AM PDT

ok thanks

Collapse -
Quad Core for Older Games
by xSpyderZx / September 8, 2011 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: GAMES.

One of the things you need to look at is if the older games you will be playing will even recognize and use all 4 cores on the cpu. Alot of "older" games only use 2 cores. As far as internet browesing and to run itunes, a quad core would be overkill. Keep in mind new games are now grabbing alot more power from the gpu instead of the cpu.

Collapse -
Years ago I found this to be false.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 12:56 AM PDT

I had a dual CPU system early and all the rhetoric was lost on me as I enjoyed how smooth it worked. Remember that "the game" may use only 1 or 2 cores but the OS is still there so you get gains overall since the OS can do it's thing unimpeded.

I think some are writing this without having used such machines.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
New Laptop for $900
by lushys / August 6, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

Intel has a great tool on their website to compare processors. I would suggest doing so between any devices that come to mind.

However its important to note that one should not expect a good gaming laptop for under 12-$1400,00. If you really want a gaming machine then Desktops are ideal.

As far as your question concerning Quad Core processors I assume you mean the Core-2-Quad?. Yes, they are incredible in respects to both bang for buck and the ability to overclock. However it also depends what you're comparing in respects to the specific Quad and what other CPU (such as the Intel i3, i5, i7 or AMD XP2, Phenom, Opteron)

IMO $900 will get you a great machine for playing simple games like for example earlier Call Of Duty, W0W. But dont expect to be playing Crysis, as you're video card will most likely not perform. When it comes to "gaming laptops" Alienware is a shadow of its previous self since the Dell acquisition leaving (in my opinion) the current reigning champion of laptop gaming products: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G50V/

You should have no problem getting an Intel or Amd Quad laptop for $500-900. In my opinion if you arent much of a gamer and are really looking for more of a media machine then a macbook might be the right buy as you're only a few hundred dollars if that away (I dont know where you live).

IMO in your price range I would possibly suggest the following: http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=9993&part=11639#spectop

Collapse -
Answer
greetings
by Noblepuker / September 6, 2011 9:58 AM PDT

From what i've read,multi cores shine when multitasking programs....for example,you can run a demanding game,powerfull video editing software,and ANOTHER game all at the same time and retain functionality.the fourth core would dedicate itself to your operating system.
I've logged respectable time on dual cores,and they don't seem to out perform my single..but they ARE dedicating a core to the op system,so a dual would be nice,AND cheap.I think quads,and sixes are utter overkill for most users.
I'd have to talk to someone who owns a quad core or better,AND is an advanced user who's opinion i trust.
I'm quite happy with my single core 2.4,and prioritizing ONE program.If i run a game,i kill all but the essential processes.My friend and i play rome total war alot,and our video cards are equal,but he swears my single 2.4 outshines his dual core 3.0 on it.He runs vista however,and i XP.He might have some malware slowing his up...hard to say.
I suggest older hardware cause it performs respectably,and is half the price.Quad cores are probably getting cheap since 6 cores are thee rage/.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!