Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Is the PSP an awful music player and mainly just for gaming

by tech_fantatic / May 24, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

Okay, so, I've been trying to buy myself an MP3 player for a ridiculously long time. Everytime I think I've made a decision I change my mind for one reason or another. It just seems that none of the players are what I'm looking for, since I'm not all that into music I don't want to spend $300 or $400 unless it is really what I want. I really liked what the Zune had to offer, but wasn't exactly impressed with what people thought of it after it was released. I like the iPod but I am looking for something that would have a larger screen. Most things aside from these two don't work all that well either.

So, I was thinking maybe the PSP. I was wanting to get one last year but decided on the Nintendo DS Lite instead. I love it and think I made the right decision, but I still think the PSP is awesome and at the current price I don't see it getting much better. But, I know that it is more for gaming than multimedia, so, how is the music playback?

I'm far from an audiophile and can rarely tell if something is out of tune or anything. I just want something I can listen to a few songs and enjoy. But, if it is going to sound really tinny (spell?) I don't really want it either.

Also, the main reason I like the iPod is because it has so many options for accessories. The one thing I would definitely need to get is a speak system for it. To be honest, taking it with me isn't a big issue, so the size of the PSP doesn't bother me at all. However, I don't know if there is any speakers that would sound pretty decent with it. I'm really wanting this to be a stereo replacement at home, but still have the ability to take it to watch movies, play games, etc. on the go.

So far, the player that interests me the most is the iRiver Clix, especially the newer one. But, again there are things that I don't really like. I think that PVP is really more of what I need to go with but haven't really found the perfect one, again making me think PSP.

So, what do you think? Would I be completely out of my mind to get a PSP?

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the PSP an awful music player and mainly just for gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the PSP an awful music player and mainly just for gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to add....

Is there any chance of Apple having an iPod out with bigger screen and things like that by Christmas, or is that more than likely completely out of the question?

Also, is the iPod really bad to get music on it that is compatible?

Collapse -
Rumors of a wide-screen iPod abound
by ktreb / May 24, 2007 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Forgot to add....

But nothing as of yet. It could happen. The iPhone could just be the teaser for something to come later in the year.

As for iPod compatability, what format is your music in? MP3s work fine. You don't have to use AAC, which contrary to popular belief, is not an Apple proprietary format. So, I don't really think it's that hard to get compatible music onto an iPod. If you're purchasing downloads, music stores other than iTunes, eMusic, and Audio Lunchbox (the latter two sell mp3s rather than protected wmas) won't work. So, you're limited in that respect.

As for your original post, I really can't answer that one, not having one myself. But having owned Sony audio products in the past, I think the PSP should sound good. I wouldn't use it as my primary audio player, given its size. I have friends that have them and they're happy with them, but they also own iPods or other players to use when they're working out or running/jogging.

If you really want the PSP for the gaming, go ahead and get one, along with a memory stick to put your music on. That way, you can get your feet wet with having portable music and maybe down the line, you can get that iPod or other music player. Or you may decide you're perfectly happy with just the PSP.

The price on the PSP is great. I almost bought one myself, but then realized as cool as it is, I'm just not into gaming.

Collapse -
I hope your right
by tech_fantatic / May 25, 2007 3:05 AM PDT

Originally my idea was either the Zune or an iPod. Everyone I talked to said Zune was awful, though it seemed more like what I wanted. Then after a while I thought maybe a PVP would be better for me, but half don't allow recording and things like that, batter isn't removeable etc. And of course, the price.

I don't really download much if any music, but I heard basically the only thing that works is iTunes for some reason. Most of my music I buy on CDs because I have a CD player. The rest are the free downloads from iTunes each week and then I have about 50 or so songs I won from Rhapsody. Aside from that they would all be from CDs.

I've not really had any Sony products, but I know for the most part they are pretty good. I watched the video on Cnet, haven't read the review, but they just mentioned the multimedia wasn't that great, but didn't really say much about the sound. Again, the size really isn't an issue for me, I don't mind that much and since I would be using it very little for jogging (hehehe) it wouldn't really matter in that respect. Mainly it would be for traveling and things like that, looking at the iPod screen for a movie doesn't really interest me.

I like your thinking, I think I should try the PSP if I use it enough for music I would get another MP3.

I really like my DS, don't know how much I would use my PSP for gaming because I don't know if there are many games I would like for it. Plus, there is the fact that it looks like the games for PSP run around $10 to $20 more than my DS games.

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -

Alright, first of all, getting a PSP plainly for music is alright, it's just you need to buy a bigger battery for it to hold more songs. You talk so much about what you like about the iPod, but the only reason you won't get it is because of it's screen size. If you like the iPod so much, you should get it, the screen size shouldn't be a problem, but if you want it to watch movies, it shouldn't be a problem either. However you said "music, movies, gaming, etc, on the go " So by that I reccomend you save and get a nice high memory media labtop. However if you want something cheaper, I reccomend the iPod, by your standards of why you liked it. PSP is alright, but the battery life and memory card prices are what I personally don't like about it. So yeah, to answer your question, the PSP is alright for music too, the quality is nice, and you can get a different memory card for it for more memory, instead of replacing the whole thing altogether.

Collapse -
There are more reasons I don't like the iPod
by tech_fantatic / May 25, 2007 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm.

There are actually several reasons I don't like the iPod, just a few of them:

1). Screen size (I will probably watch more videos than anything, and on the go like on a plane or something that screen would not be much fun)

2). It scratches (When I put a lot of money into something I don't want it to get all scratched up and look bad. I have a Sega Gamegear that is probably at least 15 years old and you can't tell it didn't just come out of the box. And, I got that when I was young.) If I am going to have something portable, I don't want to have to wear gloves to use it and be extra careful not to look at it. One person told me they bought an iPod, got a case and put it in there as soon as they brought it home. Took it out and the tag had scratched the iPod. To me it just sounds really fragile.

3). Price (I'm not big into music, I think I have like 10 CDs to my name that are mine and then I found a few at my parents house from a while back that I've got now. I don't listen to it all that often, usually just listen to the radio or something, but I like to have it on in the background. So, paying $300 or $400, or however much it costs, especially for something that doesn't have everything I want doesn't really sound good to me. If it was pretty much everything I was looking for, I wouldn't even question it.

These are just a few of the things I don't like, there are more, but I don't want to make the message too long Wink

I've got a laptop that is for media, but I would like to have something a little more portable than that.

I think someone said battery life is around 8 hours, is that true? If so that is pretty good for me. As far as memory cards, I'm sure that I could find deals here and there.

The big question now is whether or not there is a speaker system that I could use with it. I don't really know what, if anything, is available.

I guess I need to head over to the game board to get some questions about the system answered to see what I can find out.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?