Question

Is the problem my system, or my router, or both?

Lately, while listening to internet radio and I do anything on the computer at all, it will briefly interrupt the play and the song sputters, then resumes. Annoying. If I am watching a video or playing back a tv show, and not touching the computer, the audio is usually fine, the video will start up in sync, but usually ends up choking along at a delay after a few minutes, never in sync with the audio. I've got older equipment ... here's the list....

Emachine Anthlon 64 processor, 3200+ 2.01 GHZ, 1.87 GB ram (don't think it's reading all 2 GB which is the max), running XP.
It's got a trendnet 300 mbps wireless card and I'm using a Belkin 125mbps 802.11g router.

I would love to solve this problem, any ideas??

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is the problem my system, or my router, or both?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is the problem my system, or my router, or both?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Please read this recent discussion.
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: problem

The usual causes:
1. A too slow connection with Internet.
2. Too many background processes (including malware) on your PC.
3. Someone hacking your wireless router.

I'd start with changing the router security to WPA2 or change the wireless password if it already is WPA2. Then ask a friend with a laptop to listen to that same internet radio as you do. This simple experiment will show you if it's your PC that is to blame or anything from router via modem via connection to the ISP.

So the only one who can answer your question is YOU. That's a happy coincidence, because you can be sure it's the correct answer.

Kees

- Collapse -
Update

I tried what you said, turned off as many things that running in the background, checked my router security - it was set to WPA2. I went into msconfig and turned off yahoo updating.

Today, I am listening to internet music and typing this to you and there is no interruption. I'm not sure if it was anything I did, but thanks for your help.

One other question - I am supposed to be getting 15 MPBS from my time warner connection, but at best I get 10.51 down, .91 up. Would updating my router help this, or would you recommend a wired connection instead of wireless.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
Answer
Buffering/lagging

If you can hook up to the router, instead of running wirelessly you should be able to improve at least some of the issues you are seeing. A hardwire hook up is always better than trying to stream wirelessly where you are more likely to be affected by signal/bandwidth variations. 2GB of installed ram will never read 2.0 since some of the ram may be shared by audio/video, depending upon system hdwe requirements for function of those devices. So if you have onboard ethernet capability, which most systems do, get a hunk of ethernet cable, link to a port on the router and see if there isn't an improvement.

CNET Forums