Question

Is the Passive 3D TV a Full HD 3D TV?

I was thinking about buying LG's Cinema 3D TV, which I heard is the same way as in the theaters. However, I also heard many people say that passive 3D is not a full HD 3D TV. Is it true, or is it just another rumor? Can you really tell the resolution difference between active and passive 3D TV?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is the Passive 3D TV a Full HD 3D TV?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is the Passive 3D TV a Full HD 3D TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: 3D tv

Active versus passive is how they make the 3D effect. More in http://www.3dtvtechnology.org.uk/passive-versus-active
Resolution is the number of pixels on the screen. Full HD = 1920 (horizontal) x 1080 (vertical).

So these are different things. Read the specs of the TV's you consider to see
(a) what 3D technology, and
(b) what resolution
they have.

Then choose the one you like most and can afford.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Passive vs. Active

To answer your question - passive technology vs. active does the following.

Active glasses will alternate shutters on each eye so that one picture or the other in the 3d image will get through to the correct eye in timing with the TV signal - this allows for all lines of video to pass through giving you the full 1080 lines of vertical resolution or 'full' HD.

Passive glasses work differently because they require both images to be sent from the TV simultaneously and then the images are split by the polarized lenses in the glasses which are unique to each eye. Since they require both left and right eye images to be sent at the same time the vertical resolution is halved to 540 lines vs. 1080 lines. The horizontal resolution should be the same however at 1920.

That being said - I believe that some manufacturers are coming up with ways to boost the refresh rate to such a speed that your eye will actually see 1080 resolution with passive glasses. Since the eye sees at around 60hz, if you boost the image refresh to say 240 or 480 hz and alternate the lines that are displayed 4-8 times a second for each eye your brain theoretically should not be able to distinguish between a full HD display and a half HD display using passive glasses.

That's just from information I have gathered in my research so I hope that helps. The best test for any TV is to try it out yourself though as the quality of technology varies drastically from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from model to model of the same brand.

I think as far as passive goes LG and Vizio are the only players in that market niche at the moment.

- Collapse -
Answer
It is not a rumor..

Yes LG's Cinema 3d tv is full hd tv.
You can search in LW6500 and LW5700 LGs cinema 3d tv series as maximum 3d TVs in this series are full HD.

- Collapse -
Passive 3D is NOT Full HD!

I don't know where people get the impression that passive will give you the same results as active as far as resolution. It simply does not - yet anyway. Though the difference is most likely quite slight (a slightly softer 3d image) passive SPLITS THE NUMBER OF LINES OF RESOLUTION between the right and left eyes. This means it is HALF the resolution of full HD or 540 lines of resolution. 1920x540 rather than 1920x1080. The way that some manufacturers are compensating for this is by increasing the refresh rate high enough to be able to display the alternating lines for each eye multiple times per second but it is STILL only 540 lines at a time per eye. Not sure how google TV got brought into this conversation since that is completely unrelated to 3D technology (see below).

This article on vizio's new line of passive 3d TVs actually does a good job of explaining the benefits and downsides to the technology vs the traditional active shutter glasses.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2011/02/vizio-debuts-its-passive-3d-tv.html

- Collapse -
Passive is full HD --

Passive shows a full 1080 lines all the time while active flashes back and forth showing 1080 to one eye at a time (hence people getting headaches from flicker and the such--I've only seen LG certified flicker free, by the way).

- Collapse -
James Cameron likes passive!

James Cameron himself mentioned how 3D should be easier - talking about having a bowl of glasses instead of wanting to beat a kid if he sits on them.
Not only is it a full 1080 image, it's also lighter weight and far more comfortable glasses! Even more reasons passive is greatly preferred over active (by people who actually put the glasses on...lol, I've watched sales lost because people talk customers out of 3D because of a personal preference instead of letting the customer try it for themselves. I've seen upset sales people as customers do try it...and can see the 3D and love it!)
Yes, I work in the stores so I've seen it all for myself, not just the numbers. Some prefer to spend the money on technology that will be outdated in a few years (that and they have to have specific glasses for specific tvs that will be unavailable in a few years - passive glasses work with any passive). I've seen brands cutting the prices of the active glasses in half...were they ripping customers off that badly to begin with??
The saddest are those buying tvs waiting for the price of the glasses to drop. They just bought a 3D tv and will never be able to use the 3D on it because the glasses will be last year's model and no longer on the shelves before they drop in price, LOL! (Yes, I have seen that.)
When you think about it, those buying active are just burning their money. Sad.

- Collapse -
Answer
3D TV

It is reality that pasive 3D TV is not a Full HD 3D TV But actual is entertainment. only TV is not sufficient for proper entertainment.You should buy Google TV device with TV.Do check that HDMI port should be attached with TV.With Google TV device,you can enjoy the real taste of entertainment.You can movies,chatting,send and receive mails,android apps,Facebook and more on TV through Google TV device.You can enjoy TV,apps,internet on the same screen with Google TV device.

- Collapse -
passive 3D TV is full HD TV....

Not all 3D TVs, but manufacturers are producing passive 3d tv which is full HD as well...so i believe in Full HD 3D TV there is no requirement of Google TV device because the options you have suggested through Google device already available in full hd 3d tv.

- Collapse -
Answer
Yes it is....

Yeah you can consider the LG Cinema 3d tv as it's comes up with Full HD mode with HDMI post also...

- Collapse -
Answer
Yes it is....

Yeah you can consider the Cinema 3D TV series as it's comes up with full HD mode with HDMI port as well..

- Collapse -
Answer
I think passive will be the way of the future.

I don't know what how good the LG is but I notice the it is about $1000 more than the Vizio ($4000 vs. $3000 for the 65"). It would be nice if you can do a visual comparison in a store before buying. Good luck.

- Collapse -
Answer
- Collapse -
Answer
LG Cinema 3D TV is full HD:
- Collapse -
Answer
Yes it is.....

One of my friends go through the demo session of LG Cinema 3D TV and he was very impressed after going through that,
He told me when he experienced the Cinema 3d tv, he was amazed as he never saw such bright 3d tv images with too light weight 3d glass....!
So he reports me that the sales guy tell him that the LG Cinema 3D TV is full HD and comes up with many other advanced features...... Blush

- Collapse -
Okay

Hey,

- Collapse -
2D to 3D conversation....

2d to 3d conversation is an advance feature in LG's Cinema 3D TV, which means you don't have to worry about the availability of 3d content, its automatically converts your 2d content into 3d.

- Collapse -
Answer
- Collapse -
Answer
- Collapse -
Answer
LG tvs

Look, i?m a brazilian and in Brazil the only TV with passive glasses is the LW5700, but in CNET i don't find the review of that. The results of LW5700 are the same as the LW5600??? because the TV's are very similar!! or not?
Tks and sorry for my english
ps. a try to explain without translate.google for still trainning my english!

CNET Forums