Samsung forum

General discussion

Is the LN52A850 suitable for gaming?

by betamax999 / October 19, 2008 3:53 AM PDT

I have already paid for an 850 and it's set to be delivered tomorrow. I'm having serious second thoughts though. Reading around online has led me to believe that Samsung LCDs have pretty severe input lag for gaming. I've also read that putting the TV in "game mode" reduces this significantly but also ruins the picture. So I don't know what to do...I do a fair amount of gaming (PS3, 360, and Wii), and though I'm not into the serious competitive gaming and don't do much online gaming either, I still want a set that will not present any issues when playing games of any genre. So, any opinions here? Should I be concerned? Does game mode really make the picture look bad? Like I said, the TV is set to be delivered tomorrow, but if playing games is a problem, then I'll have to get a refund and continue searching for a quality LCD. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the LN52A850 suitable for gaming?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the LN52A850 suitable for gaming?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My two cents....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 19, 2008 6:44 AM PDT

I'm more than happy to host any ideas, criticisms or concerns from people who have played games on an A850 here.

One of the neat things about Samsung panels is that we allow the end user (you!) to toggle options that will allow you to get the most out of your television.

Game Mode is certainly a help. Most televisions will have additional picture processing that, while it improves the picture, may create a slight delay. Some manufacturers don't even allow you to defeat their processing (thus delay) at all, or at least significantly enough to get what you're looking for. Samsung does. But then you have to weigh your final picture processing results with the absence of lag. I don't think it will be *that* significant. But truly, you're the final judge on that.

A few things I might suggest:

1. Definitely output to the highest resolution you can from the game console.
2. Try your games without the game mode first, and then enable it and keep playing. Judge for yourself weather or not the picture difference is significant, or the lag even exists in your configuration.
3. If you have an hour to kill, pack up your game station and take it to the store and see for yourself. Make sure you like what you see, and let the salespeople address that concern.
4. Calibrate your games. Certain games like Guitar Hero have a calibration mode to compensate for delays. I don't know about all of them, but it might be a useful option.

Anyway, I hope I put some perspective on that. We have designed our sets to work great with games by specifically enabling and disabling technology so you can tweak the set to your preferences. I don't know who else who has put such an emphasis on gaming into their sets.

That's my take. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for considering a Samsung.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LN52A850 PS3 No LAG
by dfjklf / December 30, 2008 5:25 AM PST

The Fix:
1. Connect your PS3 using HDMI Input 2.
2. SELECT or RENAME the HDMI Input to PC.
3. On the PS3 start-up menu go to Settings---> Display ---->
Choose HDMI ----> DO NOT choose AUTOMATIC ----> SELECT CUSTOM ----->
4. Now, Select all the Resolution options EXCEPT 720p. This will force your games into 1080p mode.
5. Save and complete the display setup.
8. Complete! (Lag eliminated). Please spread this around!

*The key to eliminating ALL LAG is modern LCD's need to be in PC MODE (NOT GAME MODE) and the Source MUST BE IN 1080p so that the TV can use it's NATIVE RESOLUTION.*

If this works for your set and your in PC MODE you also need to go to White balance and adjust it so that the colors are correct. For LN52A850 It's :

B-Gain : 36 or 42
R-Gain : 48
G-Gain : 50

B-Offset: 26
R-Offset: 26
G-Offest: 26

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?