Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is the Catholic church going Green?

by Dango517 / March 10, 2008 2:47 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the Catholic church going Green?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the Catholic church going Green?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
everyone should follow.
by snufflesblack / March 10, 2008 5:31 AM PDT

I think not only churches or other religions should follow. But I think everyone should follow. Not just governments or other organization and the likes, but people as we.

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature. Note to user please use your CNET profile to link to Websites. Signatures in the forum post are prohibited as they are considered ads. Thank you! -Lee Koo, CNET Community

Collapse -
I agree everyone should participate.
by Dango517 / March 10, 2008 10:18 AM PDT

In the final analysis we have one world and it belongs to all of us.

This change of events it quit a twist in the world order of things. Not only is it considered wrong it is considered a Sin. Sin is a big word in Christian churches. That the worlds largest church has in a way joined with green ideas is a major shift in things. My guess is the Buddhists will be next.

Collapse -
The bible has already covered everything I saw
by drpruner / March 10, 2008 2:45 PM PDT

in the story.
Greening: "But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time ... to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Rev 11:18
Deuteronomy 22:8 covers home safety.
And don't forget "All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them."?Matthew 7:12.
And it comes from an even higher authority than "The Vicar of Christ": Jesus himself stated: "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me."?John 7:16.

Collapse -
The Bible says
by Dango517 / March 10, 2008 4:14 PM PDT

Ezekiel 34:17-18. As for you, my flock... Is it not enough for you to feed on good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to ink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?

Genesis 9:8-9. Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: "I now establish my covenant with you and your descendants after you and with every living creature that was with you - the birds, the livestock, and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you - every living Creature on the earth."

Genesis 9:12-13. And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will he the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.

Isaiah 24:4-6. The earth dries up and withers, the world languished and withers, the exalted of the earth languish. The earth lies under its inhabitants; for they have transgressed the laws, violated the statutes, and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse consumes the earth; its people must bear their guilt.

Jer. 2:7. I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and you made my inheritance detestable.

Lev. 25:23-24. The land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants. Throughout the country that you hold as a possession, you must provide for the redemption of the land.

Revelation 11:18. The nations were angry and your wrath has come. The time has come for rewarding your servants the prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great - and for destroying those who destroy the earth.

Collapse -
Those people sound like very bad tenants.
by drpruner / March 10, 2008 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: The Bible says

I would evict them immediately ... Oops.

Collapse -
That last bit says
by Dango517 / March 10, 2008 5:00 PM PDT

they may have more to worry about then an eviction. What side of the Global warming debate are you on anyway? Grin

Collapse -
I believe
by drpruner / March 11, 2008 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: That last bit says

for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows ...
Sorry, I got carried away.

The best side of any issue is Jehovah's side. The best evidence I see is that the earth has had heat/cool cycles before, so that can't be helped. I'm one who lends credence to man's abetting problems by his own actions. In this case, I have no doubt the Industrial Revolution had its down side(s). But I can't do anything about either, so I leave it up to Jehovah to save the planet; it's his anyway, you know?
In the meantime, I try to be a good tenant, but I don't waste energy (!) on some of the endless debates going on. "Paper or plastic; cloth diapers or disposables?" I simply make my personal choice and live with it.

Something I find interesting about Rev 11:18 is that it didn't make sense in the day it was written. Mining is one polluting endeavor that has been going on since before Solomon's day, but it's a local problem at its worst. Until recently, man did not have the ability to "ruin the earth". So, why did John write that? He says it's because he was 'transported' far ahead in time, to what he called "the Lord's [Jesus] day". By inspiration I came to be in the Lord?s day, and I heard behind me a strong voice like that of a trumpet, saying: ?What you see write in a scroll and send it to the seven congregations" Rev 1:10,11

Collapse -
this is for you.
by Dango517 / March 11, 2008 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I believe

Ezekiel 33:31-32 And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness. And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.

covetousness defined:

http://www.dianedew.com/covet.htm

Collapse -
Wow! That's quite a polemic link.
by drpruner / March 11, 2008 5:35 PM PDT
In reply to: this is for you.

"1. Covetousness is listed in the Ten Commandments alongside such sins as idolatry, adultery, murder, etc.
Exodus 20:17; Deuteronomy 5:21"

True. Now imagine you are a civic leader faced with putting the Big Ten into law. Most of the work (past #1) is done for you- there are already laws against robbery, slander, etc. BUT:
How would you write up the statutes for detecting and enforcing covetousness?
You might also compare James 1:13-5.

BTW I've seen Eze 33 fulfilled many times at various doors.

Collapse -
Polemic
by Dango517 / March 11, 2008 6:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
BTW,
by Dango517 / March 11, 2008 6:11 PM PDT

I didn't write it. If it's controversial take it up with Him.

Collapse -
You're right; bad word choice.
by drpruner / March 11, 2008 7:16 PM PDT

What I was noticing was the sub-sub-outline aspect, for one topic. 'Everything you wanted to know ...'
I'm familiar with what I saw, and my church insists that I believe it. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Good research, BTW.
by drpruner / March 10, 2008 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: The Bible says
Collapse -
NT
by Dango517 / March 11, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

John 3:5-6

5 Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You [c] must be born again.' 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." [d]

9 "How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.

10 "You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?

Collapse -
(NT) Good scripture. But I don't see the relevance to my post.
by drpruner / March 12, 2008 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: NT
Collapse -
Primarily it
by Dango517 / March 12, 2008 7:17 PM PDT

relates to post 5 and 5 in turn relates to 1. These are expressions of the Bibles description of God's and man's relationship to this Planet and the life on it. Yet, they are seldom discussed. As a group they are profound.

I'm done for today.

Collapse -
Perhaps it's too soon to be diverted
by drpruner / March 10, 2008 4:21 PM PDT

from good ol' Thou Shalt Not Kill, and the others.
For example:
Kenyan militia strike back
First they sent leaflets saying they would avenge the killings of their tribesmen when violence flared following Kenya's disputed election. Then they told other tribes to leave certain areas.
People's fears had come true. The Mungiki were back. ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7238489.stm
The article is a primer on "50 Ways to Hate your Brother".

Now compare the reality with this scenario, from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ke.html#People

Religions: Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, Muslim 10%, indigenous beliefs 10%, other 2%
note: a large majority of Kenyans are Christian, but estimates for the percentage of the population that adheres to Islam or indigenous beliefs vary widely.

88% belong to religions that claim to put love of brother and love of man over love of man?s inventions, like tribe, clan, party, nationality ?
If anyone makes the statement: ?I love God,? and yet is hating his brother, he is a liar. For he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot be loving God, whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him, that the one who loves God should be loving his brother also. 1 John 4:20,21

And that man progressed from this:
but [the Samaritans] did not receive [Jesus], because his face was set for going to Jerusalem. When the disciples James and John saw this they said: ?Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and annihilate them?? But he turned and rebuked them. So they went to a different village. Lu 9:53-55

Collapse -
(NT) Too little, too late.
by Dan McC / March 13, 2008 1:59 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?