General discussion

Is the Basic Alienware MX11 Good Enough?

We're talking about a difference of almost $700 here.

And no, before you even start, I don't care what you could assemble in your basement, what the parts cost at some bargain-bin online outlet, blah, blah, blah.

This question really ONLY concerns if it's even worth it to get the basic Alienware MX11, or if -- in order to get good gaming performance (which, let's face it, that's all this notebook is intended for) -- you have to go with the higher-end machine (at which point I could get a normal laptop for far less).

Specs on the off-the-shelf MX11:
Intel? CoreTM 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
2GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 800Mhz - 2 DIMMS
160GB3 SATA II hard drive (5400RPM)
NVIDIA GT335M GeForce?

Specs of the upgraded version:
Intel? Core? i7 640UM (4M Cache, 1.2 GHZ with 2.266 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency)
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
NVIDIA GT335M GeForce?

No, I didn't choose to upgrade the hard drive size (or turn it into a solid-state drive for that matter).

The major changes lift the price from $799 to right around $1500.

However, the simple fact of the matter is that this notebook was designed for gaming -- it's the intended purpose of even the low-end model. I would be playing MW2, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, and perhaps a few other titles on here. For the forseeable future, I'm not really planning on using this for anything too graphically intense... but, who knows long term?

The point of all this is -- is the off-the-shelf MX11 even worth it? Can it do what needs to be done and make it look good, or do you really need to essentially double the price to make this puppy shine?

I know for gaming purists out there, only the best is really acceptable, but if I have to save up to buy the more expensive rig, it's going to take a long, long time.

Just curious to hear what your experiences are with this machine, etc.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is the Basic Alienware MX11 Good Enough?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is the Basic Alienware MX11 Good Enough?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It depends.

On your gamer. If you have a gamer in your house, even the top end machines won't do. But that core2duo is not a bad choice.

HOWEVER!!! The i7 based machines so far do not have switchable graphics AND the machines run very warm to so hot you can't place them on your lap. Battery times are in minutes, not hours.

My suggestion is to pull back to the core i5 cpu and the model that has switchable graphics.

Bob

- Collapse -
Okay..

How much RAM do you think I need, Bob? The basic alotment is 2 gigs, which sounds too small to me, but it can be purchased in 4, 6 or 8. I'm almost thinking 8 is relatively unnecessary? What middle ground should I shoot for?

- Collapse -
Today? 4GB is fine.

Get your usual 64 bit OS and it's very nice. As to the video ram, stick to the 1GB models.

You can always bump the ram later but many overbuy on ram.
Bob

- Collapse -
READ..... reply to-ShrikeArghast

my god dude the mx11, which i have been recently looking into buying, for its price, the only reason its ALOT cheaper than the rest is mainly SIZE. its 11.6 inches instead of much larger. but also parts, these parts....---

Intel? CoreTM 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
2GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 800Mhz - 2 DIMMS
NVIDIA GT335M GeForce?....----

IS INSANE. it will run world of warcraft on high graphics without a hicup (maybe on loading). unless u have a ****** internet connection. but this little thing will do all you want

CNET Forums

Forum Info