PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Is the A+ certification still needed to get a job ?

I saw this question posted in 2004, so I thought I would ask it again. I've been unemployed for too long and the current economny is crap.

I have heard form an instructor at a local community college that the A+ cert. is going to dissapear soon.

The main question is, is the A+ cert still worth going after to get a job? I've been playing with my own computer for years adding this or that hw thing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the A+ certification still needed to get a job ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the A+ certification still needed to get a job ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CompTIA

In reply to: Is the A+ certification still needed to get a job ?

The A+ Cert will not get you a job in this day and age. If you already work in the computer IT field, employers will often require that you keep current certifications from CompTIA, Microsoft, etc. at their expense. In my opinion, getting a Bachelors or preferably a Masters degree will greatly increase your chances of employment as well as greatly increasing your salary.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Is the A+ certification still needed to get a job ?

Upon seeing ads or clips of those looking for IT people and/or techs, expect some hassles if not having some certificate. More often or not, its a way for companies to weed out those that may have iffy experience and/or no track record. However, experience can be used in lieu of certificates, but you may need to get whatever they require later. Its also a way for business to say, they got certified people working here and provide a top notch service for those looking to use them. However, the A+ certificate is the bottom rung of knowledge and it appears to be more of revenue source for colleges, etc.. If it were to go away, it will be replaced by some other certification. Having a degree offers more and may get you to be hired and then get whatever certificates they desire, but again, its different from co. to co..

FYI- When certificates weren't the normal when I had to take tests on my general knowledge and that too was a way to weed undesirables or less than they wanted. I guess working on pacemakers or microtech requires certain skills that aerospace and/or computer repairs(before PCs), radios, military equipment just didn't share. Happy But, guess what I got hired by the 2nd co. I interviewed with.

So go for what seems best for you.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.