Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is Technology a good thing?

by RueRyuzaki / November 7, 2008 10:44 AM PST

I am a collage student taking a research class. I have to collect a little bit of data to do a research paper. My partners and I selected to do our paper on what people think technology is doing to/for human life. If you would please answer one or more of the following questions we would be very very greatful. (Note: this is just a colage paper and will not be published and we will not be making any profit off the paper, aside from what we hope will be an A grade)

1. What is your age group?
0-9, 10-17, 18-21, 22-29, 30-39, 40-49, or 50+

2. What technological advances do you see for the future?

3. In your opinion what ways has technology changed our society?

4. Do you believe society has benefited from technology? why/why not?

5. Do you feel countries with less technology have a better way of life? why/why not?

6. Do you feel countries would benefit from having more technology? why/why not?

Thank you for helping us help you help us all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Technology a good thing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Technology a good thing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OK
by Dan McC / November 7, 2008 2:29 PM PST

1) 40-49

2) I see many advances along the lines we are seeing now. Semiconductor/computer tech will continue to become more pervasive in our minute to minute live. Nano tech will bring materials to make existing applications more affordable and new applications immaginable.

3) Technology has benefited our society, most recently, by making communities easier to build. While we may feel more separated from those across the street, we are in constant contact with like minded individuals across the world.

4) Society has benefited from tech since the first guy picked up a rock and figured out how to open clams and feed himself and his community better. But, as in all things in society, there is a price to pay. That first guy smashed his fingers much more than his Luddite fellows.

5) 6) These call for value judgments that one society should not make for another. Perhaps if you define "better"...

Dan

Collapse -
Welcome to SE....here goes
by Steven Haninger / November 7, 2008 7:27 PM PST

50+

I do not believe we can forsee these advances in specific detail. As well, technology embraces many disciplines from basic information to medical and science. I believe we will see medicine advance by using technolgy to crunch data better and more efficiently. That will speed up research by helping to eliminate "dead end" experiments and focus on those more likely to succeed. See later notes.

That's a tough one. The simplest answer I can come up with is that technology has allowed us to pack more living into today than we could accomplish yesterday. That being on many fronts.

Yes and no. See later notes

5. Do you feel countries with less technology have a better way of life? why/why not?

Not necessarily. I would offer that those who live in countries that are more technologically advanced have no reason to make this judgment of others. It would be more important to look at overall happiness or contentment. Someone who's hungry and just found food may feel just as happy as another who's just acquired an Ipod. It's all relative.

6. Do you feel countries would benefit from having more technology? why/why not?

Similar as 5. See notes.

Notes

It's important to consider that advances in technology also create a new set of dependancies and challenges. Haven't we found an increased need for energy to power all the new fangled machinery and devices we've invented? And aren't we discovering that producing and using that power might be causing other dangers to us?

Consider that in science and medicine we are extending our lives. But, as we learn to battle deadly diseases, isn't it true that all we've done is allow us to live long enough to die from another one? As well, aren't we learning that an increasing population brings with it an uncountable number of new challenges? Technology, while greatly increasing productivity, has left us with far fewer opportunities for those who cannot keep up with it. We complain about the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer. If that's a crime, technology aids and abets it.

Look at the science of war. We know people fight. Technology has greatly enhanced our ability to destroy as well as build. We can kill more people in a day than would die in a hundred years of war in times past.

While I am not suggesting that we'd be better off living in caves, I think it's important to look at a larger picture when we consider something to be an advancement. We also cannot measure with anyones eyes but our own.

Please, if I might add, before you type this all up and submit it you should invest in a spell checker. I also think you are probably a "college" student and not a "collage" student. I'm sure this was a typo and I'm not poking fun but couldn't help but notice and envision this as an art class instead. Happy Good luck.

Collapse -
Surveys.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 7, 2008 8:16 PM PST

I need to say that, in general, surveys are not allowed in these forums. Too many surveys require personal data, such as email addresses, personal addresses, etc, and CNET is committed to preserving the anonymity of its members and ensuring personal data does not fall in to the wrong hands. While some surveys, such as yours, do not ask seek personal data, (apart from age), CNET takes the view that it is wiser to ban all surveys, rather than allow some, but not others.

That said, this is not my forum, and I will not make any decision myself, so I am willing to participate and my answers are below. But be prepared for other Moderators to take a different view, and either lock this discussion, or delete it.

1] What is your age group?

50+

2] What technological advances do you see for the future?

I see no more 'major' technological advances in the near future. By 'major' I mean in new fields. In the 19th and 20th centuries we saw new fields of technology in medicine and the treatment of diseases; we saw the discovery of electricity which pushed forward a whole range of different technologies. What we will see in the future are step improvements in existing technology. For more major changes, new fields need to be discovered, for example, a science fiction type scenario of anti-gravity, or other new methods of propulsion. But until such new fields are discovered, any thoughts of it are just speculation.

3] In your opinion what ways has technology changed our society?

The discovery, management and distribution of electricity in the 19th century completely changed society. Transport, communication, health care, food production, trade and finance all benefited by that discovery.

4] Do you believe society has benefited from technology? why/why not?

Yes

Ask yourself this question; "What if electricity was taken away from us?". I believe the whole world's societies would collapse. That does not mean to say that I believe the human race would die out. It wouldn't. But living as we know it today would change out of all recognition for all of the industrial and technologically advanced nations of the world. That means it would be harder for the less able-bodied, the young, the old and the infirm to survive.

5] Do you feel countries with less technology have a better way of life? why/why not?

No.

Standards of living generally are much lower. Mortality rate is higher especially amongst the very young, and life expectancy is lower. However, those societies that survive with less technology would be better able to continue surviving without it than would those who need it.

6] Do you feel countries would benefit from having more technology? why/why not?

Difficult to give a general answer. In what way are existing technologically advanced societies deficient in their lives? If those can be identified, then perhaps technology can help improve lives.

For those countries less well advanced in technology, my answer to question 5 applies.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
from my college to your colage and collage
by James Denison / November 8, 2008 12:08 AM PST

50+

Gravity motors

Since when? Most recent is computers and internet for wider access to knowledge and better cross communication between people rather than downflow of information through older means such as newspaper and evening news broadcast.

Yes, in every way that life is made easier and cheaper to live.

How much less technology? No, technology isn't the problem but rather how people choose to use it, and especially government use of it.

Countries where freedom is respected and individual rights are upheld will benefit always from it. Countries with oppressive regimes will use technological improvements to further control over the "masses".

Collapse -
(NT) At least they're "greatful"!
by Cindi Haynes / November 8, 2008 12:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Lol. College, it's not just for ...
by James Denison / November 8, 2008 1:07 AM PST

...education anymore, but for an experience too!

Collapse -
Mark Flax is correct re surveys here
by Angeline Booher / November 8, 2008 2:26 AM PST

It would have been deleted.

However, responders noted that the quests were not constructed in a manner to obtain answers, and pointed out why.

As a designated moderator here I also feel that the questions are below college level. Perhaps you will learn some helpful pointers from your visit here for future research assignments.

You are welcome to drop in again, except to conduct surveys. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I am L
by RueRyuzaki / November 8, 2008 4:59 AM PST

The class this is for is not meant to be about what we are researching, we are studying the act of researching and how to go about it. So if you think our subject is below collage level I don't really care.

Also I doubt I will be dropping by again, I purposefully chose forums I myself would never frequent.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome
by James Denison / November 8, 2008 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: I am L
Collapse -
Why go where you normally wouldn't?
by Steven Haninger / November 8, 2008 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: I am L

Do you not think you'd get information here? If so, you've certainly not done yourself or your project a favor. It would seem you'd look to places that you'd consider to be reliable and helpful if you were at all sincere about receiving a decent grade. More than one person here actually tried to be helpful. I did, even though I thought the questioning would have been better if put in an objective format. If you're looking for what works and what doesn't by doing research through surveys, you've certainly found one that won't. I could certainly understand if folks thought this was a ruse from the start.

Collapse -
To be honest...
by RueRyuzaki / November 8, 2008 4:39 PM PST

I don't go on forums much as it is and I thought to go to places I normally would not was to find people that don't think like me (someone who loves technology and who?s future after collage depends greatly on technology) plus we got plenty of responses from people like us from passing out the same questionnaire above around campus.

I meant no offence by the statement of me not normally coming here. This seems to be a very well organized forum and those that did answer where honest (or at least seemed to be).

As for the nature of the questions and topic, while not incredibly important themselves as the class is to study the different ways of conducting research for qualitative data, our teacher wanted us to study something important to our future. As mentioned above my future is based in technology and its continued advancement. In my case, Multimedia and Video Games.

I would also like to thank you for your support in answering the questions.

I will be checking back once a day until after our paper is finished so for those of you who would like to answer any of the questions or make any comment on the subject of technology feel free. I will let everyone know when the paper is finished.

Collapse -
You might be interested in looking up the work
by Steven Haninger / November 8, 2008 7:13 PM PST
In reply to: To be honest...

of one of my nephews in the area of teen video games. He's a PhD whose done research and written papers about teen video games. His last name is the same as mine. His first name starts with a K. A google search will pull him up. Some of his work is available to read on line. He's a "dyed in the wool" gamer with his own reservations about such based on extensive research.

Collapse -
Sounds good
by RueRyuzaki / November 9, 2008 5:32 AM PST

We also have to do a few literature reviews that relate to our topic, as one method of doing research is reading what others have found from similar research. If I can find some of his work I will surely read it.
Thank you.

Collapse -
No more answers will be counted
by RueRyuzaki / November 14, 2008 4:21 PM PST

The time to submit answers is now over and we will begin compiling our data.

Thank you for participating in this Aperture Science computer-aided enrichment activity.

Goodbye.

Collapse -
Looks like we've been had
by Roger NC / November 15, 2008 2:14 AM PST

I'd suggest that all future posts by this name be regarded with extreme prejudice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(video_game)

Portal is a single-player first-person action/puzzle video game developed by Valve Corporation. The game was released in the bundle package The Orange Box for Microsoft Windows and Xbox 360 on October 9, 2007,[2][1] and for the PlayStation 3 on December 11, 2007.[5] .....

The game consists primarily of a series of puzzles that must be solved by teleporting the player's character and other simple objects using the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (dubbed the "Portal Gun" or "ASHPD"), a unit that can create an inter-spatial portal between flat planes.

Collapse -
more
by James Denison / November 15, 2008 2:46 AM PST
Collapse -
Noted,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 15, 2008 5:21 AM PST

but even reading the Wikipedia entry and visiting James' link, I confess I am still at a loss.

The OP's comment just now, "Thank you for participating in this Aperture Science computer-aided enrichment activity", makes no sense. Is he saying that he is the Aperture Science computer-aided enrichment activity, eg some sort of AI response program?

Mark

Collapse -
GLaDOS
by RueRyuzaki / November 15, 2008 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: Noted,

Wow you guys are a little to serous...

But at least one of you knew where that came from, of did you just do a search for Aperture science? Either way I don't care. Do a search for Rue Ryuzaki and see what you get :P.

Anyway you guys gave me some valid info and that I will remember. Thanks to all the ones who gave valid answers we have gone through and "graded" them to be used in our report.

Oh an in my first post the "thank you for helping us help you help us all" is also a quote from the game Portal.

Remember GLaDOS is all that stands between us and them.

L

Collapse -
Responses and thoughts...
by shawnlin / November 15, 2008 1:22 PM PST

a quick thought - technology has, and does, increase productivity and offers a medium for entertainment delivery. Not much more than that. As far as if technology is good for society - what are you considering as "society"?

Consider this, though, - politics and religion as a technology...
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/noah_feldman_says_politics_and_religion_are_technologies.html

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/billy_graham_on_technology_faith_and_suffering.html

http://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_kelly_on_the_next_5_000_days_of_the_web.html

Best,
Shalin

RESPONSES:

1. 30-39

5x fold increase in Flash storage technology in 5years (i.e. 60GB iPhone, etc.) Broadband (wired or wireless) access to the internet that reaches all the way out to towns with 100 people in them in 5 years.

It has increased productivity and methods for delivery of entertainment. Although, you have to define "our society" - I assumed industrialized and/or developing nations.

Yes. Because people industrialized/developing nations value productivity and entertainment. It is a way to create social security through wealth accumulation (through productivity) and a way to enjoy life and de-stress if needed (through entertainment).

Depends on what one values for a "better way of life". In general, yes, they have a better way of life, but mostly because they have more power and ability to make a life they want, especially for individuals.

Consider that America, Canada, India, and China fair amount of technology per capita, but their people have different ways of life and thus enjoy different things.

Moe often than not, no. Why - quality over quantity.

Collapse -
Forget about it. This has all been
by Steven Haninger / November 15, 2008 7:25 PM PST

as I suggested it might be

here

a lie.

Collapse -
why so sour?
by James Denison / November 15, 2008 10:23 PM PST

Got no kids? Here's one with an interest, so is that bad? Nobody's trying to sell you anything, so that's a relief. A little game can be refreshing sometimes. Keep the wine from turning to vinegar.

Collapse -
Despite being debunked, here's my answer
by Ziks511 / November 15, 2008 10:18 PM PST

Technology is neither bad or good, it just is. It can be put to bad or good uses, and certain avenues can be pursued to improve one's chances of achieving whatever is being sought. Despite the young of the 60's and 70's knee-jerk opposition, the Bomb has had myriad offshoots that we now use daily (viz smoke detectors, Nuclear Medicine etc) and which provide great benefits. Perhaps it even staved off a confrontation between Russia and the US which, given what we learned later about Nuclear Winter, is a good thing.

The questioner's intent is only partially germane here. The thinking that he or she provokes is what is of value.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?