Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is Spyware Doctor Good or Bad?

by suleman1uk / April 11, 2005 8:55 AM PDT

Hi

I was wondering is spyware doctor considered to be a rogue or suspicous anti spyware application, its not in the rogue list on spyware warrior but could anyone give me their opinion? does it give false positives?

thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Spyware Doctor Good or Bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Spyware Doctor Good or Bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll let you look it up yourself ...
by Jake Barnes / April 11, 2005 9:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
He's right, Spyware Doctor has vanished...
by tobeach / April 11, 2005 4:59 PM PDT

from the list. One of their latest gambits is to get some court to order malware to be removed from the list until sometime (years?) in the future when a court will render its' verdict and even if guilty they've gained years of more profits and hopefully more respectability from being off the list for so long. then it starts all over again!!
Suffice to say: I WOULD NOT allow this product on any of my machines! Hope this is clear enough warning Happy

Collapse -
Thanks
by suleman1uk / April 11, 2005 7:52 PM PDT

ok thanks for that, its gonna get removed right now!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You might want to Google the app ...
by Jake Barnes / April 12, 2005 3:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Is this the same as C/net gives 5 stars
by shylaugh / April 12, 2005 3:21 AM PDT

Spyware Doctor 3.2. Is this the same software that C/net gives 5 stars to. Just wondering as I thought it was recommended unless you are talking about the other Spyware Dr. I think there are two and can get confused.

Collapse -
Spyware Doctor
by phil66 / April 12, 2005 3:43 AM PDT

I have run Spyware Doctor 3.2 from PC Tools for the last 8 weeks with no false positives.

I update and run scan it found two or three malware than neither spybot or adware found. Checked registry before deleting and malware was listed.

I cannot condemn an app that is doings its job.

HTH
Ray

Collapse -
PCTools Cheating Spybot!
by suleman1uk / April 12, 2005 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Spyware Doctor
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nice research ... Well Done!
by Jake Barnes / April 12, 2005 7:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
spyware doctor
by coolcisco / February 6, 2009 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware Doctor

I bought PC Tools spyware doctor. Went surfing. Got more viruses than Carter has liver pills. Didn't worry. I had Pctools spyware doctor. Didn't work. Could not get rid of the viruses. I tried evrything. Asked Pc tools for help. Couldn't help me. Finnally, I had to format my hard drive, repartion, reformat, and finally had to reinstall all of my programs. No thanks PC tools, I don't need your program.

Collapse -
PCTools offering ROGUE software
by robesto / April 23, 2009 8:03 PM PDT
In reply to: spyware doctor

If anybody would care to listen. Spyware Doctor, PCTools Antivirus and Threatfire are all harmful roguewares. And PCMag is supporting them!

Collapse -
PC Tools Spyware Doctor: Scum
by Darkness111 / April 24, 2009 3:03 PM PDT

PC Tools as a company has been lately drifting away to oblivion.. Let me give you a couple of examples.

For the Google-starter-version of Spyware Doctor(SD) complaints have been made that the updated definitions and database, are different(less in size than the database and updates) from those who have the full version. These claims are made by people who got SD through the Google-starter package, at PC Tools forums...and guess what..PC Tools confirms these claims, as being true, providing silly and childish excuses..I wonder, for people running the SD Google starter edition, who decides what definitions worth sending and which don't..Think about it. People rely on SD, and they actually get less database available, than the full version. But this is not mentioned anywhere in the comparison tables beteween editions at theis site.

Another scum is this..You see the price for SD full at $24.95. And you say OK, what the heck..I'll get it. When you hit the buy button, and they trace you're from Europe (not the UK), the prices come up in EUROS..That is, SD suddenly costs 24.95Euro, which is around $30...I wonder why?...Its a bloody download..Its not a package send to us in Europe by post..Disgusting!!

I'll stop here I think..By the way their TF product is a decent one..
P.S. For the above I can provide proof and links if someone wishes..Let me know.

Dark.

Collapse -
Spyware Doctor is garbage
by vulkmus / April 23, 2010 10:12 AM PDT

I bought Spyware Doctor from Micro Center. It kept saying I didn't have an internet connection, even though it did. When I tried to install it on a clean computer it said the License code was invalid. When I tried to get help on the web site (Phone or Email support) it required a License code. Which of course was invalid. I tried to take it back but since it was open I had to exchange it for the same thing, only, the only version they had was slightly altered and cost 10.00 more. Thinking it might have been just a fluke I paid the 10 MORE dollars, only to get a product that still tells me it's a bad license code on the web site, and now informs me on the install, that I am spelling my name wrong. Nope, you didn't read that wrong... After 37 years of spelling my name, Spyware Doctor has informed me that I am wrong, my parents are wrong, books are wrong, and even the Bible is wrong. Really?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?