Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Is SP3 safe yet?

by rayray8822 / January 31, 2009 10:40 PM PST

Hey, y'all,

I know you're supposed to wait a while before installing a new service pack for Windows. Is it safe to install Service Pack 3 yet? I put this question to the "Wisdom of the Masses."

Raymond in Athens

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Not that high of a body count
by Steven Haninger / February 1, 2009 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Is SP3 safe yet?

There were a few caveats depending on manufacturer. You can read up on it. I believe one had to do with HP/Compac models with AMD processors. I've personally done over 50 upgrades from old laptops to newer rigs and have yet to have a hiccup. Download the full package and either burn to CD or run from a flash drive. Install it after a fresh reboot, with the AV program disabled and the no internet connection. If your system is otherwise sound, you're ok.

Collapse -
should be ok
by mementh / February 2, 2009 2:26 PM PST

the issue that was there was that there is actually two kernals used..
one for AMD chips one for Intel so that each is optimized for the one it runs.
Issue was some manufacturers were used the Intel kernals (from a default install where sp2 did not check or did not have issues ) and SP3 has issues if the right kernal is not used..

sad Sad

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!