Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Is Sony HDR-SR5 compatable with Vista

by micho49 / November 9, 2007 1:52 PM PST

I have windows vista Home Premium 32 bit version with an Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Sony HDR-SR5 compatable with Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Sony HDR-SR5 compatable with Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your computer might have an issue with the AVCHD, but
by whizkid454 / November 9, 2007 10:08 PM PST

You need to provide more details such as RAM and total Hard Drive space. Since HD (High Def) video takes a huge amount of storage space, you need to make sure you have enough. Because of the processor, I see you have a laptop. How much space is on that laptop? AVCHD (the format in which High Def video is recorded with HDD/DVD/Flash camcorders) requires a lot of processing power and RAM, so your experience with AVCHD might not be "fast".

Another thing, you won't be able to get the High Def video onto your TV unless 1) you buy a BluRay (High Def DVD) player or 2) you connect the camcorder directly to the TV. This is because the HD video will not fit on a standard DVD or work on a standard DVD player.

Also, you will need video editing software in order to edit the AVCHD video that specifically supports the AVCHD format. There are plenty of choices now from ~$50 to $500+. Remember, the included software is BASIC, at best, but it will allow you to view the HD video on your computer and make a standard definition DVD for your DVD player.

If this seems like too much of a hassle, there are other options such as HDV (tape-based). Just remember that HD tape camcorders can take as much as 30GB of hard drive space for each HOUR of recording. A kind suggestion: For any camcorder you decide, buy an external hard drive along with it.

Collapse -
The other thing that *could* be done
by boya84 / November 10, 2007 1:14 AM PST

is to use that camcorder using standard definition (4:3 or 16:9) DV - that way, AVCHD compression is not applied... sort of defeats the purpose of getting a hidef camcorder (that compreses using AVCHD), but should bridge the gap until AVCHD decoding is a bit better...

The external hard drive for video projects is always a good idea. Though Firewire connectivity is recommended...

Collapse -
HD camcorders compatibility with Vista
by micho49 / November 10, 2007 3:55 AM PST

Thank you Whizkid for your response. The laptop have 1 GB Ram, 250GB of hard disk space.I am worried much about the space of the laptop hard disk the videos will copied to a DVD once transfered to the disk hard drive. As far as the software, Ulead movie factory software is oreinstalled on the laptop. Not sure if it will do the job editing Videos taken on the HD camcorder.
Hope this info is sufficient to address my issue in deciding on whether to purchase the camcorder.

Collapse -
I'm thinking maybe a more basic camcorder?
by whizkid454 / November 10, 2007 4:29 AM PST

The laptop has plenty of storage space, but the processor and RAM might give you "more than expected" editing time. Burning to DVD is another thing. If you record in high definition, that video will be downconverted to standard definition to fit onto the DVD. Usually, those pre-installed programs don't allow full functionality. Also, it most likely won't support AVCHD.

Have you tried looking at other standard definition camcorders? They will be less taxing on your laptop and will take up less space. Plus, they are most likely compatible with the Ulead software and easier to burn onto a DVD.

Do you want to stay with HDD camcorders, or are tape camcorders a possibility as well?

Collapse -
The DVD burning software will downsample to
by boya84 / November 10, 2007 9:00 AM PST

standard definition because if the DVD burner is not a HD-DVD burner or BluRay burner, the DVD drive does not understand how to burn that format.

If the computer is a new Sony with the optional BluRay burner, then there is most likely BluRay DVD authoring software to burn the BluRay DVD - and you would need to use either the laptop or a BluRay DVD player connected to your HDTV in order to watch in HD...

BluRay discs are not cheap... but they are getting there...
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4863470;jsessionid=ocwTZH4HhP69LnXCkw8rFA**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Collapse -
Leaving Hi Def for later
by micho49 / November 14, 2007 8:20 AM PST

Thank you for all your answers. I guess I will stay away from Hi Def at the time being. Again Thank you also goes to WhizKid

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?