TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is sony Bravia 40 Inch Lcd worth Buyin????

by Pankajsardana / February 13, 2006 12:36 AM PST

Can any one help please i am totally confuded about plasma and lcd? What shall i buy ? which brand and model????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is sony Bravia 40 Inch Lcd worth Buyin????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is sony Bravia 40 Inch Lcd worth Buyin????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Big Question.
by HighdefHoney / February 13, 2006 1:28 AM PST

Everyone asks this. Plasma vs. LCD? There's a few big differences, but if you surf CNet, you should find the answer to your questions. I don't like the Sony Bravia, the picture is beautiful, but the second something starts moving, the screen starts crying pixels. The pixellation and refresh rate are TERRIBLE.

Just a little sidenote, plasmas have a longer half-life than LCDs, and the high-power rating for them is inaccurate. Plasmas apparently only take a little bit more power than LCDs. Plasma power is rated as if every pixel on the screen is being used to its maximum potential. Usually, less than half the pixels are being used at once, so the power consumption rating is sadly inaccurate. And LCD blacks still can'tcompare with the plasmas. Good luck, babes.

Collapse -
I hate to say this; but......
by Riverledge / February 13, 2006 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: The Big Question.

I think you got me on the refresh rate.

Can go anywhere between 34'' to 42''.

I like to watch sports; looking forward to the NCAA
basketball tournement on CBS, they say every game will be in HD. Anybody know the truth?

Now I'm looking for a Plasma. I know PANASONICS are the obvious choice. No problem with that, except cost. Feel free to step on my own advice!!!

('cepting LINNFREAK.)

river.

Collapse -
Back lamps,,,?????
by jcrobso / February 14, 2006 3:32 AM PST

This is the question!!!!! How long do they last???? What does it cost to get them replaced????? Are there any reliable ansrews????
I have been looking into this on and off for about a year. No concreat answers YET!!!!
Clames of 4000 to 40,000 hours of life for the of back lamps!! What a range!!! No service cost, parts & labor.
If it's a $250 LCD PC monitor and lamps go thats on thing but if the lamps go on $2000+ LCD pannel, this a different ball game.
Some good news for LCD PC monitor owners. John
http://www.lcdpart.com/contactus.html

Collapse -
Back lamps??
by HighdefHoney / February 16, 2006 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Back lamps,,,?????

Straight from the manufacturer's, the claim, depending on brand and size, says that HALF-LIFE ranges from 40,000 hours to 50,000, which is 10,000 less than the average plasma. In addition, in LCDs, it's almost guaranteed that the illumination is not going to be the first thing to go. LCDs are composed of nine layers directly against eachother, working by exchange of electronics between two polarized layers. If you're looking at fixing something gone wrong in an LCD, chances are that all nine layers have to be pulled apart. Only 6 out of every 10 LCDs manufactured make it to retail. The other 4 have to be sent back and recycled. LCDs are on a very delicate balance between all nine. Parts and labour costs combined are through the roof, guarantted $900 minimum, according to the manufacturer's I've called. (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Sharp). That is, of course, assuming that the panel goes in the first year, if you stay with manufacturer's warranty. 40, 000 hours is equivalent to about 19 years watching 8 hours of TV a day. And you're only warrantied for one of those 19, on a technology renowned for power problems and delicate mechanical balance. If you break it, you may as well buy a new one, with the dropping costs.

-Honey

Collapse -
NEW BRAVIAs COMING SOON..........
by Riverledge / February 14, 2006 10:28 AM PST

SEE SONYSTYLE.COM YOU can pre-order the new Bravia;
KDL-40S2000, site says ready by late March.

Collapse -
hmmm
by HighdefHoney / February 15, 2006 5:24 AM PST

htrjek

Collapse -
Spend some time reading.
by jcrobso / February 15, 2006 5:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Is it? Let me answer that question....
by dholloway / February 25, 2006 5:25 AM PST

I purchased the KDLV-32XBR1, the 32 inch Bravia around the second week of December. I was all set to buy the Sharp 32 inch LCD but after seeing the Bravia XBR I didn't look back. First of all, the television is a work of art compared to the Sharp. The Sharp has wings, at least that's what I call the speakers that are on the side. The other model with the speaker underneath is more attractive but when comparing picture clarity there is only one winner, Sony. The other night I was watching survivor, which is not broadcasted in HD and the picture was so clear that my wife and I said to each other that we wished we could see that clear. What I'm saying is that the picture is outstanding.I have the television connected to the cable box via HDMI and to the DVD player via component. I am so impressed with this t.v that I want the 40 inch but will most probably wait for the next iteration in September. I have a feeling that Sony will be coming out with a 42 inch version of this set when they release the XBR's in September. The model that the other person is referring to is not an XBR and that will come out in March. Hopefully, the next run of XBR's will have 2 HDMI inputs as I would like to connect the T.V. to the DVD player via HDMI as well.
Your best bet is to buy the t.v from a store, not online, that will take it back if your not satisfied. Also, buy the extended warranty from Sony. It's a much better deal price wize and they cover everything except the bulb. To have the bulb last longer just lower the brightness a tad because it's way to high from the factory setting.
Plasma t.v's are really nice but loose their sharpness over time. The Pioneer is awesome if you want to see a great plasma t.v.
So their, you have my opinion. Now get out and shop..........

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!