Desktops forum

General discussion

Is sli worth it?

Is it worth going all out for an sli motherboard? I'm going with alienware: athlon 3800, 1gb ram, 6800 gt video card. If I went with the sli motherboard, I would still get the same video card and wait on getting the second. Which is the better buy with this config? Would it be better to just put another of the same video cards in later or to keep upgrading just the one over time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is sli worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is sli worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depends but my take...

In reply to: Is sli worth it?

if u have the money, have VERY good airflow, have a VERY good power supply, think that EVERY fps matters, go will 2. i know people will say otherwise, like buy 2 7800gtxs or wait for an R520, the 6800s will do fine UNLESS u wont be gaming and/or using graphics heavy programs. IMO go with two because gts overclock to near ultras speed. look at my reasons carefully.

konny

Collapse -
sli is not worth it unless ure a serious gamer

also y r u goin with alienware? me personally would go with monarch

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)Shawn, please do not advertise in your posts

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is it offensive to you?

In reply to: (NT)Shawn, please do not advertise in your posts

Collapse -
no, its offensive to CNET

In reply to: (NT) Is it offensive to you?

read damasta55rs post to...

all quoted from cnet

"Posting Advertisements
This is a forum of ideas, so advertisements are not allowed in this venue. A member may answer another member's question about their occupation or business, however, blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited. This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited. Pyramid schemes --chain letters that involve money-- are not only prohibited by CNET Networks standards, but they're also illegal. It is permissible for members to mention services or products that are provided by them or the companies with which they are affiliated, as long as the information is germane to the topic, is not a blatant advertisement, and the members mention their affiliation with the company in the content of the message."

Collapse -
RE:

Perhaps you should read the forum policies a bit more closely. Not that you have anything offensive or anything. You may include that information in your profile, but not in every post.

A MEMBER may answer another member's question about their OCCUPATION or BUSINESS, however, BLATANT ADVERTISING or SOLICITATIONS of or for BUSINESSES is prohibited.

This includes, but not limited to, PERSONAL RESUMES and LINKS to PRODUCTS or SERVICES with which the POSTER is AFFILIATED, WHETHER or NOT A FEE IS CHARGED for the product or service.

Collapse -
I've asked

Collapse -
Had I read it earlier I would have posted

In reply to: I've asked

a Mod alert to delete the SPAM and to advise the aurhor that he is in violation of the TOS. He could provide his info in his profile.

Collapse -
Ah, but Ray...there can be different interpertations

In reply to: Had I read it earlier I would have posted

of the TOS as I have seen discussed over the years in SpeakEasy, is the reason I didn't hit the "Report offensive post" button.

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Ah, but Ray...there can be different interpertations

Than why not just leave your e-mail...

Collapse -
I simply post a mod alert

and give a little input, and leave it up to the mods.

Reading the originators reply here, gives much insight, and certainly reveals he is very much an asset to these forums.

He should also consider putting all his personal info into his profile, and where in a thread where he applies genuine help, he can certainly tell people that there is more info in his profile.

My big issue was the special blessing given to Wayne.

Collapse -
I simply post a mod alert

In reply to: I simply post a mod alert

Just cant help it! Got to say something here..
I dont normally get involved into things like this often,but this time its involving a dear friend..
Ray,I really dont think your sarcastic remark about Wayne receiving a(special blessing)was justified,it was
uncalled for and just down right rude!He did nothing wrong!Go look at all the Friends, CNET Faces,and then go ask them if hes in the wrong! Wayne has been around these forums a very long time and has helped many many here,including myself and probably you also..
Guess what you dont understand is that Wayne is the ''Special Blessing''
Thank you..Had my Say!

Collapse -
I'm not sure that anything in the way

of a significant apology was needed. I was locked in another issue that got me to this thread. I was just trying to say how one can call attention to a post if they think that it violates something [the mod alert]. Call it SPAM, violation of the TOS or whatever, and simply let the Moderator take whatever action is appropriate.

Putting your email in the text is very bad thing to do. HOWEVER if you simply go into your profile and enable email, they can email you without ever getting your email address. After that it's up to you if you give that individual the address.

You can say in the post that they can email you via your profile. Also for those posts, where appropriate, you can refer them to your profile for info regarding your knowledge and experience base, books, et al.

I very seldom go to the desktop forum. Hope to see you in the Computer Help, Hardware, and Newbies forum as a provider of great help.

Collapse -
Forum Policies...

Hi Shawn,

As Ray indicates, your knowledge and willingness to help others is an asset to these forums, and hope you continue to participate. Perhaps just a slight modification may be in order. There is nothing to prohibit posting your email address that I know of, just that revealing a email addy invites Spam from the Spammers. Here is part of the TOS:

''Posting Advertisements
This is a forum of ideas, so advertisements are not allowed in this venue. A member may answer another member's question about their occupation or business, however, blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited. This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited. Pyramid schemes --chain letters that involve money-- are not only prohibited by CNET Networks standards, but they're also illegal. It is permissible for members to mention services or products that are provided by them or the companies with which they are affiliated, as long as the information is germane to the topic, is not a blatant advertisement, and the members mention their affiliation with the company in the content of the message.''

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7600_7-5565331-1.html?tag=dir.forum

Can also click on ''Forum policies'' in the left margin of these threads.

Collapse -
Re: Is SLI worth it.

I agree that SLI is for the hard core gamer and competitors, but not for the average gamer unless they have money to burn & just want it.

The current single graphic cards really are adequate, especially since the recent introduction of the Nvidia 7800. Even the expensive 6800Ultra is plenty. Then there is the even more expensive single cards to soon come out by ATI and Nvida.

Course' if I was a gamer, that would have the $$, and also liked to do video editing/number crunching, multi-tasks, I would want both worlds and get a computer with dual video card graphic (SLI) and dual core processors, like Alienware (& others-haven't checked yet) recently came out with:

http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/area-51_7500.aspx

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) An X800XL is all you need, its strong and adequate

In reply to: Re: Is SLI worth it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OR maybe a 6800 GT
Collapse -
Re: Is SLI worth it?

Hello,

Is SLI worth it? If it is within your budget, YES! If it is not within your budget, then at least pick up a motherboard with those capabilities. However, on the flip side of that, prices drop so rapidly on technology hardware, waiting 6 months so it fits within your budget certainly is a wise move.

Now, do you need SLI? Both AMD and Intel both understand that creating faster CPUs is NOT the way of the future. Intel has actually scrapped P4 and above projects (at least for the time being). Both are focusing on dual-core technology (basically two CPUs in one) because it utilizes two processors working together and therefore faster processing speeds.

That said, there are very few applications on the market today that are programmed to utilize more than one CPU in a HYPERTHREADING environment. So the software manufacturers need to step up to the plate now.

So you may be asking why all the above information? It is simple, whether people realilze it or not, SLI or something similar will be the next step in the video processing sector. It isn't going away. For watching video through your PC, it doesn't require alot of processing power. For editing video, that requires alot of processing power.

I would error on the side of "More Power" and future options. I stronly believe in future proofing at least 3-5 years. With a SLI motherboard, you could buy any video card you want now and then when you need the extra power of a SLI setup, go buy two cards at that time. The prices will be alot cheaper and you will feel like you have a new machine.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC

To contact me click on the profile link below.

Collapse -
just go with a better single card

sure 2 6800GTs is close to 30 percent better than an X850XT PE, but the extra price for the cards and the motherboard can be almost twice as much.

Collapse -
Yes it is.

It's not THAT much more expensive, and what I like when I play games are more than excellent graphics.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.