Question

is pay for data obigatory even using second hand iphone?

Aug 29, 2011 6:25AM PDT

I use a second hand iphone but strictly using it for phone services with AT&T with an AT&T sim card from my standard (not smart-phone) cell-phone.
AT&T wants me to pay for the data though I never use data and not signed a contract for data.
It is legal or just logic from AT&T.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: is pay for data obigatory even using second hand iphone?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: is pay for data obigatory even using second hand iphone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
The phone uses the data link.
Aug 29, 2011 6:31AM PDT

You don't but the phone does for updates and more. It's a widely discussed topic but if you ever let ATT find you using that sim in the iPhone they want the data plan.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks
Sep 12, 2011 2:15AM PDT

Thanks! I was thinking all the while that my pone needs to use a data link to get the most out of it.

- Collapse -
Answer
To be more precise
Aug 29, 2011 7:14AM PDT

Short answer is that they can require it and you have no choice.

In At&t's Terms on Conditions of Service it clearly states that all smart phones used on their network are required to have a smart phone data plan. It doesn't matter if you bought the device from At&t or not and it is perfectly legal. The T&C apply to all customers whether or not they are in contract. There are a few phone models (definitely not any iPhone) that may not be detected but that is a whole other discussion. Data is a feature and is not part of any contract.

- Collapse -
Answer
Switch to T-Mobile no data reqired
Sep 5, 2011 4:09PM PDT

I suggest you get your device unlocked and port your number over to the monthly 4G plans at T-Mobile. $50, no taxes or fees and unlimited everything. Since you do not use data, the slower speed most experience from having to use edge will not be a problem. Thing is, it's there for you to use in a pinch and you always have your WiFi too.

- Collapse -
Only problem is.....
Sep 5, 2011 11:27PM PDT

The iPhone will not work on T-mobile's 4G data network, it will be limited to EDGE data speeds because it lacks the required 1700 mhz frequency used by T-mobile. It will work with voice calls without problem on T-mobile and the OP will have to unlock the iPhone himself. Neither At&t or Apple will provide unlock codes for an At&t iPhone.

- Collapse -
Taxes?
Sep 26, 2011 6:08AM PDT

How do you know there are no taxes on the Monthly 4g? Just wondering, because I have been trying to find that info somewhere.

- Collapse -
Tax is usually money that is marked for city, state, union.
Sep 26, 2011 6:29AM PDT

And Cellular services are so far, without question "taxed."

CNET Forums

Forum Info