Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is Palin on a self-preservation mission as campaign fades?

by Josh K / October 25, 2008 5:39 AM PDT
McCain aide: Palin 'going rogue'

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (CNN) ? With 10 days to go until election day, long brewing tension between Sarah Palin and key aides to John McCain has become so intense, it is spilling out into the public.

Several McCain advisers have suggested to CNN they have become increasingly frustrated with what one aide described as Palin ?going rogue? recently, while a Palin associate says she is simply trying to "bust free" of what she believes was a mishandled roll-out that damaged her.

McCain sources point to several incidents where Palin has gone off message, and privately wonder if they were deliberate. For example: labeling robo calls "irritating," even as the campaign was defending the use of them and telling reporters she disagreed with the campaigns controversial decision to pull out of Michigan.

A second McCain source tells CNN she appears to now be looking out for herself more than the McCain campaign.

"She is a diva. She takes no advice from anyone," said this McCain adviser, "she does not have any relationships of trust with any of us, her family or anyone else. Also she is playing for her own future and sees herself as the next leader of the party. Remember: divas trust only unto themselves as they see themselves as the beginning and end of all wisdom."

A Palin associate defended her by saying she is "not good at process questions" and that her comments on Michigan and the robo calls were answers to process questions.

With the presidential race in its final days and polls suggesting McCain's chances of pulling out a win are growing slim, Palin may be looking after her own future.

"She's no longer playing for 2008, she's playing 2012," Democratic pollster Peter Hart told CNN. "And the difficulty is, when she went on Saturday Night Live, she became a reinforcement of her caricature. She never allowed herself to be vetted, and at the end of the day, voters turned against her both in terms of qualifications and personally."

Well if she is looking towards 2012, she may want to work on getting better at "process questions." Mischief
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Palin on a self-preservation mission as campaign fades?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Palin on a self-preservation mission as campaign fades?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Democratic pollster Peter Hart told CNN...
by EdHannigan / October 25, 2008 6:30 AM PDT

Yyyyeaah...that's who to trust for inside info on the McCain campaign.

Pathetic attempt at spin control and propaganda.

Obama getting nervous as polls tigh5ten and fraudulent voter registrations are tossed out?

Collapse -
The other statements....
by Josh K / October 25, 2008 7:58 AM PDT

...came from people within the McCain campaign.

Collapse -
The usual "unnamed sources"...
by EdHannigan / October 25, 2008 8:08 AM PDT

You can always get someone to say something for you to spin. A hit piece, pure and simple. Worth the paper it's printed on.

I thought you guys thought you were ahead. Seem to be awfully nervous.

Collapse -
From what I have heard
by Angeline Booher / October 25, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

.... from listening to her speeches, she has continued in her traditional role of what VP candidates do for the top of the ticket--- they say what the top of the ticket will not. Frankly. I have not heard of any I thought were self-serving at McCain's expense. of course she is looking to havig an important roe in the party, even running for the presidency in the future is a distinct possibility.

If, and that is again an IF, what the article says is true, she is playing a dangerous game. She will need the good will of her entire party if she wants more than the support of its base in the future.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
It is so obviously a "hit piece"..
by EdHannigan / October 25, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: From what I have heard

that it deserves only derisive laughter. Not to be taken seriously on any level.

It is astounding how intense the unfair attacks on Sarah Palin have been. Very shameful.

Collapse -
10 days? 11?
by James Denison / October 25, 2008 7:23 AM PDT

Soon it will all be over.

Collapse -
very powerful, very disciplined, incredibly gracious woman
by WOODS-HICK / October 25, 2008 8:45 AM PDT

according to Lorne Michaels, SNL executive producer:

Michaels: I think Palin will continue to be underestimated for a while. I watched the way she connected with people, and she's powerful. Her politics aren't my politics. But you can see that she's a very powerful, very disciplined, incredibly gracious woman. This was her first time out and she's had a huge impact. People connect to her.

EW: She's a ratings magnet, too ? do you think she can land a development deal if this VP thing doesn't work out?

Michaels: She could pretty much do better than development. I think she could have her own show, yeah.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20234814_2,00.html

and that's the reason the Media is out to destroy her.

McCain+Palin 08

Self-sacrifice + Self-preservation

Two Outstanding Qualities

I disagree entirely with the OP premise. These anonymous sources are lying. I heard that from an Obama source. They never lie.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?