Question

Is one fan in the tower enough for a gaming graphics card?

So I am thinking about buying a gtx 460 and getting around a 700w power supply. I just wanna know if I have only one fan in my tower (exhaust) will it and my pc be okay to run?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is one fan in the tower enough for a gaming graphics card?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is one fan in the tower enough for a gaming graphics card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Conditions vary

Many users complain when they have 2-3 case fans and other cooling, so it really depends on your situation. Offhand, I don't think you'll be happy. You can however and go ahead and see how it works for ya. You should consider added cooling and if your case or config allows for this, if not or very limited, do what is necessary to help yourself.

- Collapse -
Answer
One way is "try it" and see what the temps are. Are there

other places to install additional case fans ?

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
nope

no additional spaces. I run an amd quad core 750 gig hard drive.

- Collapse -
Bummer.....then I'd go with my original suggestion.

If it runs in the normal range, then no problem.

If it runs too hot, you could replace the one fan with a better one (higher CFM) ... retailers below.
Fans....FrozenPC.com, Coolerguys.com, CrazyPC.com

If that doesn't do it...you could mod the case to install another, larger fan.

Next...a case with more ventilation options...plenty of those available.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Answer
I agree with VAPCMD...try it.

Montior the temp.I'm sure the card has it's own fan anyway.
I run just one fan,but it's side mounted,and blows on the components.One exhaust is weak though.You should probably add one anyway...they're cheap.

CNET Forums