Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

is Norton 2007 worthwhile

Using xp home, sp2, all updates, free AVG AV, free AVG antispy, Kerio 2.1.5, spybot and ad-aware se personal.

Looks like we will be losing FREE AVG AV and FREE AVG antispy.

Dec 5, 2006 PC Magazine says that Norton Internet Security 2007 is now the BEST.

My previous experince with Norton was not all that good.

I have had bad experiences in past with some computer magazine recommendations, so I am wanting input from anyone who is using Norton Internet Security 2007.

Is it really reliable? Is it worth the money, or are there FREE programs that are as good or better?

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is Norton 2007 worthwhile
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is Norton 2007 worthwhile
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Ben,

In reply to: is Norton 2007 worthwhile

Looks like we will be losing FREE AVG AV and FREE AVG antispy.

No, both will STAY free

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is a free anti-virus protection tool developed by GRISOFT for home use. We invite you to join the millions of satisfied customers worldwide who have downloaded the software and now enjoy the benefits of AVG Anti-Virus Free.
New in AVG 7.5

* Improved virus detection based on better heuristics and NTFS data streams scanning
* Smaller installation and update files
* Improved user interface
* Windows Vista ready
* and more

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

Get AVG Anti-Spyware Free
AVG Anti-Spyware Free is a free anti-spyware protection tool developed by GRISOFT for home use. We invite you to join the millions of satisfied customers worldwide who have downloaded the software and now enjoy the benefits of AVG Anti-Spyware Free.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5
Collapse -
Hi Marianna!

In reply to: Hi Ben,

So much erroneous information being passed out... glad to see you set the record straight with factual information. You do a good service.

Thanks!

Glenn

Collapse -
Hi Glenn,

In reply to: Hi Marianna!

You're Welcome Happy

I hope, this was the last time I have to post AVG will be FREE with the correct versions Happy

Collapse -
I have been getting popups ....

In reply to: Hi Glenn,

stating AVG would no longer be free in Jan 07.

At this point I have been using AVG AV and AVG antispy, (and have been happy with it) but those popup I have been getting say that "free" will be over soon???

Next time I get one, I will make a screen shot.

Ben

Collapse -
Ben, go here...

In reply to: I have been getting popups ....

Collapse -
AVG Free

In reply to: Hi Ben,

Thanks for that information. I have been using AVG for years now and am more than happy with it. I have recommended it to many people and they will be happy to know it is staying free,

Collapse -
if you want a good free one (avast home) is the best

if you want to buy one bit defender is the one to get i have bitdefender 9pro and it works great. norton is over rated and blooted with crap you dont need. Avast Home is free And it does a great job!

Collapse -
I'll wait

In reply to: if you want a good free one (avast home) is the best

I will stay with AVG until I have to change.

I agree about Norton being bloatware. Are they kin to MS? :^)

Thanks for help.

Ben

Collapse -
If You Want to Stay w/ 7.1 'til Jan.07 Great! I suggest ....

In reply to: I'll wait

you might like to download & save a copy of Free 7.5 to your "My Documents" folder NOW to have for install at you convenience rather than trying to get through to the servers in the last 2 week "crazy rush" period.
On the other hand, perhaps you're the type to wait to Dec.23rd to start X-mas shopping. I suspect you'll also have less traffic here to be heard through for any install questions if you beat the rush.
Happy Holidays however you go! Grin

Collapse -
(NT) 7.5 is what I had since it became available.

In reply to: If You Want to Stay w/ 7.1 'til Jan.07 Great! I suggest ....

Collapse -
bently, I am confused if you have AVG 7.5...

In reply to: 7.5 is what I had since it became available.

which is the Free version, then what are you asking and what do you need? Confused! Confused

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) yes, I have avg 7.5

In reply to: bently, I am confused if you have AVG 7.5...

Collapse -
Hi,Bently! The Pop-Up Refers to Version7.1 Free being....

In reply to: yes, I have avg 7.5

discontinued in favor of new version 7.5 Free. You should not see reminder for 7.1 if 7.5 is installed.

AVG Anti-Spy 7.5 (EWIDO) will continue w/ 30 day free trial of FULL
version and will continue free after 30 days in the reduced service version (no auto-update function) but still updatable manually, & I believe the "background guard" function also stops but still useful as scanner/remover.

In passing, my 7.5 had a MAJOR reworking delivered via an OPTIONAL update offering, which required reboot on XP Home but not on XPPro.
I believe this brings the free version up to the paid versions scanner level.
Hope this clears confusion. Grin

Collapse -
got it

In reply to: Hi,Bently! The Pop-Up Refers to Version7.1 Free being....

Thanks tobeach

I downloaded 7.5 after I started getting popups. I have not gotten any popups since the download.

The reason for the original post was because I read an article about Norton being best AV package and figured if I was going to lose AVG, I would consider Norton. ( Norton in the PAST was not good for me)

Thanks for clarifying this.

Ben

Collapse -
(NT) My Pleasure to Help. You're Welcome! Thanks for Reply! :D

In reply to: got it

Collapse -
why

In reply to: got it

If you have been happy with (Free) AVG in the past and not satisfied with Norton why would you even consider Norton? Why not give your money to AVG?

Collapse -
Norton kills computers

All of my customers without exception have called me wanting me to kill Norton. Once installed their systems are slowed to a crawl or flat out will not function.

Several users have recommended the free solutions. I recommend McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007. I have been running McAfee for years and also installed it across my enterprise (a hospital).

McAfee ISS 2007 also has a heap of maintainance tools. I love the registry cleaner.

Here is the good part. Wait for the sale! Check the ads and you can get it for free! In fact I just purchased five copies at $4.99 and gave them as Christmas gifts. I did not want to wait for the rebate that would have made it free.

The new version has a very small footprint and loads very fast on boot. It is running a full system scan right now and I have noticed no slowdown.

Collapse -
I pulled Norton & Macfee due to footprint slow down issues.

In reply to: Norton kills computers

My clients are using older machines. These bigger anti-virus programs can make them un-usable. 2 minute web page load is way too slow.

They buy a new computer to speed things up only to have to pour in mud to protect it.

Oh well, moving on.

Collapse -
Best Anti-Virus

If you want to keep control of your machine stay away from Norton. I have a wide scope of customers ranging from Experts to my lovely wrinklies as I call them, so I have to recommend versatility, ease of understanding and cost-match to meet high protection levels for the uninitiated. The best product at the moment (which means as soon as someone buys, it will be out of date) is Webroot Spysweeper which currently includes and Anti Virus element supplied by Sophos. Downloadable software from their website and 12 months subscription comes in at $29.99 plus taxes if non US customer, still brings the full package and year updates at under

Collapse -
Norton

Norton is a bloated, overpriced computer "take over" package. We got rid of it when an earlier edition (2007 also does this) insisted that we would have to remove SpyBot in order to use the Norton package. It seems to me Norton is ignoring the tenets of the Anti Spyware Coalition when they don't want you to have even more protection for your computer. I also found that if you need help with their product, after having paid their outrageous price, you have to pay them for assistance. In other words, pay for our software: if it screws up pay us to straighten out our own product. That sucks in my opinion. Even Microsoft allows you to contact them for free when their product is not functioning properly. No Norton for us.

Collapse -
Norton Usefulness

I believe Norton (Personal Firewall, NAV, and SystemWorks particularly) becomes less useful with every succeeding reincarnation. Last time Norton was good was when it was owned by Peter himself. As it is now, the Norton components has its own internal conflicts and limitations and it has a crummy interface. There's gotta be something better coming along sometime, not withstanding the "reviews".

Collapse -
I wouldn't touch Norton

Not even with a 39 and a half foot pole. I use F-secure, which is provided free from Charter. But I turn off the firewall/internet security component. It's a waste of my resources to use it, as my router is a firewall. If I had to pay for something, I'd use Nod32.

You can't rely on any one thing tho, good security has to be a layered defense, and "common sense" is the most important component.

Collapse -
Nortons

My own experience with Norton's was great until 2005 when it failed, having loaded in 2002 from a CD and then downloading updates each year I discovered when the system failed Norton's web site told me to reload via the CD but because of the on line updates this could not be done. I was forced to write to Norton's here in New Zealand. They in turn called me from overseas and in the end sent me a programe to remove Norton's so I could reload it. I did not reload it! I now use AVG Anti Virus 7.5 as well at AVG Anti-Spyware as well as Prevx1 I understand that AVG 7.5 is still free. No problems what so ever.

Trevor

Collapse -
Sadly after all these years, I've started dumping Norton...

Upgraded three computers so far to NIS2007 and here's the results...

1 seemingly sucessful install, computer had a noticible reduction in performance. System told me that the subscription had expired even though I had just upgraded from NIS2006 to NIS2007. Tried Symantec's website suggestions, finally ran Norton's complete removal tool and reinstalled NIS2007 from scratch. Subscription problem cured, system showed a full year available, system performance slightly slower, but useable with NIS2007.

1 seemingly sucessful install, computer on reboot took 20 minutes to come back up. All booting there after was a 20 minute exercise in patience. Did a complete, comprehensive scan with several other products for malware with system coming up clean. Uninstalled, reinstalled and same results. Used Norton's complete removal tool before next reinstall, it initialized a complete unistall of AOL off the computer somehow. Still same results, 20 MINUTES TO REBOOT AND RUNS SLOW! Removed, installed AVG Gold free version, Microsoft Defender and ZoneAlarm firewall.

1 seemingly successful install on a computer that had the Norton complete removal tool run on it a week prior to trying to install NIS2007. Kept telling me that the subscription had expired. Went to Symantec's website, ran down all their fixes for the problem, still showed subscription expired. Contacted Symantec support, spent another 2 hours, still no resolution of the expired subscription on a complete new install of NIS2007. I do not have more than 4 hours of my life to waste on this kind of junk, so we pulled up the Norton complete removal tool, wiped NIS2007 installed AVG, Microsoft Defender and ZoneAlarm.

We are initializing two chargebacks as the NIS2007 was completely unusable on these systems. I'm looking into Kaspersky and AntiVir at the moment as the rest of the computers will be coming up for subscription renewal in six months. Personally, AntiVir, Microsoft Defender and some firewall product will replace what has become an unusable monolithic mess that has become a roadblock to getting work done.

Collapse -
Dump Norton

In reply to: Sadly after all these years, I've started dumping Norton...

Had Norton IS 2005 on this computer, upgraded to 2007 when my subscription expired and then my troubles began. Hours later but to make a long, long story short, the current state of 2007 is it will not launch, update nor can I remove it after using the download removal tool several times in addition to the Windows software removal function. I'm looking at dumping the hard drive and reloading XP etc., a sad state of affairs and a time consuming problem.
The subscription for NIS 2005 on my other computer expires later this month and I WILL NOT BE USING NORTON !!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.