Tech Deals forum

Question

Is Newegg.com a reliable website to purchase from?

by DisTrini / December 7, 2011 1:10 AM PST

New at the online shopping game , and sceptical .Is Newegg a safe and reliable site to purchase from??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Newegg.com a reliable website to purchase from?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Newegg.com a reliable website to purchase from?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For me yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 2:38 AM PST

Some folk have issues. But most seem OK with them.

Collapse -
Answer
yes
by James Denison / December 7, 2011 9:34 AM PST

they and tigerdirect are two of my favorite online electronic vendors. Always check other big box store online sites first though like walmart, bestbuy, etc, which sometimes have the same item cheaper.

Collapse -
Answer
Yes
by hy_tek / December 14, 2011 11:02 AM PST

I purchased all the components to build my computer from them. They are fantastic. Fast shipping and good deals for sales. Their customer service is the best from my experience. They even paid return shipping on the stuff I had to return. I would have no reservations about purchasing anything from them.

Collapse -
Answer
Screwed up my order - would not resolve to my satisfaction
by PlumHunter / August 31, 2016 9:13 AM PDT

Yes - legit and trustworthy. I have purchased a few computer products on their website. However, the last time they screwed up my credit card information - they bundled up some software with the laptop I bought. The transaction was accepted by my bank for one item but not for the second. It kept getting denied even after I contacted Newegg in a chat. Someone had entered the wrong credit card information for the software item, so the entire order was blocked. It took me 3 days to resolve this. When I asked the chat person, Lizzie Z., to expedite the order since the delay was their fault, she said she could not do this. I can only imagine what might happen if something more critical occurred, like non-delivery or a biusted computer arrived in the mail.

Collapse -
Answer
sometimes
by chaselikesbirds / August 23, 2017 6:45 PM PDT

they have good product but occasionly they will try to scam you for example something thats on sale(but its actually not) or if u buy a graphic card it will come with a free game(do not take this offer) they will give u the game but they will "mistakenly" charge for it everytime and blame it on their system

Collapse -
Answer
Go to Amazon or someplace else!!!
by Truedaheart / April 3, 2018 4:10 PM PDT

Just to give a timeline of events that occurred with Newegg. I ordered a refurbished MacBook pro w i5 processor to replace an old MacBook with Intel 2core duo. This was ordered online on the 11th. On the 13th I received an email and 2 calls about incomplete information and a problem with the credit card. I responded to all of them and got confirmation of order after. Strange they did not have a problem charging my account on the 11th when it was actually ordered. On the 15th I received my box via FedEx and was excited to get my new used computer. However, the excitement turned to frustration when I opened the box and found that Newegg sent me the same older model MacBook (was not even a MacBook Pro) that I wanted to replace. After quite a while on the phone, I had to send pictures of the computer and box to them as proof. Then they said they would send me a mailing label to send it back. I did send it back on the 16th and on the 18th I got an email asking when I was going to send it. They provided me with the shipping label and should have been able to track that. I kept checking the tracking on the package and they received it on the 22nd. Odd that they got it here in 2 days, but it took almost a week for them to get it back. I have called every two days to get an update on the status of the return. It is the 28th now and I feel they have held my 450 dollars “hostage” long enough. I would not recommend going to Newegg for anything! I already re ordered my MacBook Pro replacement from Amazon and I am quite happy with it. Just like all the responses here. Customer service representatives are very friendly. But actions speak louder than any words. Extremely bad customer experience. This company would have to change a lot of business practices to get me to ever buy from them again. I wonder how long it will actually take for them to credit my card for the amount?

An update – talked to Newegg again yesterday and they requested another 48 hrs. What a JOKE! This was the 6th call to them. We called the bank and put the amount in dispute on the credit card. Newegg is a scammer organization that sells and sends inferior merchandise and I will never order from them again… PERIOD!

Collapse -
Answer
Stay Away!!!
by tkd01 / April 11, 2018 1:18 PM PDT

My advice is to stay away from this company. I recently ordered a hard drive from them that I had to send back. I tried to call the customer service department for an authorization and elected a call back or I would have been on hold for a very long time. No problem, I went online and submitted the information for a replacement return authorization. No problem with that, and they were providing a return shipping label. After about an hour later I did get a call back from them, and a girl answered. I told her that I had gone ahead and submitted my return request online and if she could check to make sure it went through OK since I haven’t received my shipping label yet. She put me hold for awhile, not sure why, and later came back and said everything OK, and I should be getting my return shipping label. This was the only conversation, and it was just to verify a return request.
Now this is where it gets strange. Later in the day I check my bank account and notice a charge pending from Newegg. About twice the amount I originally paid for the hard drive. I figured it must be some internal process due to the return. Well, the next day I actually got charged for this. So, I left an online callback notice for first thing in the morning.
I get a call from Newegg and this guy sounds like he was stoned or something. Maybe he just had a bad cold with a lot of sniffles. Anyway, he was helpful and after some checking it appears that an order for two hard drives was made against my credit card. But, he couldn’t tell me where they shipped them to, Newegg policy. So he says well, it happens all the time. How coincidental is this; Rright after I have communication with Newegg, I get my card stolen. Ridiculous! I didn’t even discuss or use my credit card during this whole process. Although, all my credit card information is still in their system. So, then my card gets hacked right after talking with them. Again, Ridiculous. So, they don’t have secure enough processes in place to insure against this. This is even more cause for concern with this company.
After all this I wanted a refund instead of replacement as I will not use this company again. I’m still waiting for a refund that apparently takes a week for them to get the hard drive back, and who knows how long to actually give the refund. A new credit card later and a bunch of irritation, I went to Amazon for a new hard drive. No problems.

Collapse -
Answer
If you like to Gamble...otherwise NO!
by Truedaheart / April 20, 2018 11:09 AM PDT

They held my payment "hostage" for over a month and a half. They sent the wrong product to me and I sent it back the day after I received it. All representatives were "nice" but that doesn't cut it when you have to pay a credit card bill and they won't give your money back. My suggestion would be to go to Amazon or anywhere else.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?