Dell forum

General discussion

Is my XPS a lost cause, or is there a reason for hope??

by jsolomonster / September 16, 2009 11:33 PM PDT

Had posted this in the Desktops forum, but it was suggested to me that I might have more luck posting here, so here goes...

Long story short, as my 3-year old Dell XPS desktop was loading up on Friday night, I foolishly went to plug my camera into the USB before it was finished and I believe that it what may have hung the process. In any event, my computer had frozen so I rebooted and I have been unable to load up Windows since. When I try to boot, I get the following blue screen message (among lots of other, less important text):

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000034, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF72D8019)

iastor.sys - Address F72D8019 base at F72C5000, DateStamp 42b2df42"

FYI, I did try loading up the computer with the OS reinstallation CD in the disc drive and it did nothing, didn't even seem to detect it was in there. Got the same blue screen, and subsequent black screen (with options to boot into Safe Mode or Use Last Good Configuration) that I had before, and again, none of those work. Sad

How can I resussitate my system (and keep my data)? Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is my XPS a lost cause, or is there a reason for hope??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is my XPS a lost cause, or is there a reason for hope??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So it didn't boot from the CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 11:02 AM PDT

That can point to dirty CD LENS, old drives or bad CD. What parts are you willing to replace?

Collapse -
Dont know much.
by hooty54 / October 4, 2009 2:57 PM PDT

I was doing a PC restore, I clicked cancel when the DVD would not write, I got the blue screen, support had me to hold the off button down for 60 seconds then restart holding CTRL and F11 & I got back into the PC Restore page.

All went well but machine is not right, but I learned my lesson as CTRL & F11 was next on the things to do but I had been up for 2 days and not thinking well.

I have to fix this somehow and will read more and try again in a week if this keeps going well enough.

Good luck.

Collapse -
A thought.
by hooty54 / October 4, 2009 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Dont know much.

For anyone reading this fairly old post Dell has a MS Debugging program I only saw it tonight but it looks good for certain problems.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?