Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Is my Wifi being Restricted?

I have a brand new t61p model # 6459. It has 4 gb ram 2.5ghz processor and I have windows xp pro which i downgraded from vista too. I have a intel wifi link 4965 agn. My router is a linksys 2.4ghz 802.11b. I know that this is outdated but, i have 3 other computers. 2 Pc's one wireless and the other hardwire. i also have one other old dell laptop with a wireless card that only supports 802.11b. I go to speakeasy.net and i have ran the speed test on all 4 computers( i have used a couple of other sites for verifiaction). The average for the 3 computers(not the t61p) is 2800kpbs. I should supposbly have 3000kbps according to verizion but that doesnt matter. Anyways when I run the lenovo on the speakeasy website the highest download rate i got was 1000kbps. Genreally its around 700kbps. I have made sure all computers have Excellent signal 100%. I noticed the laptop was slow using the internet on downloads and even web browsing and its a fairly big difference from the others. I feel like something is restricting my t61p. I have plugged in the usb drive that one of my pc's uses which got the results 2800kbps, when i plugged it into the lenovo i got around the same results. I also have plugged an ethernet cable into the laptop and I then was able to get 2800kbps. Please please please help me! If you need anymore info i will get it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is my Wifi being Restricted?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is my Wifi being Restricted?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks choked to me too.

In reply to: Is my Wifi being Restricted?

802.11b is 11 meagerbits (typo intentional) and the old router's CPU can limit that to even less. So there's choices to be made here.

Collapse -

In reply to: Looks choked to me too.

when im trying to do the internet thing i make sure all others are offline. and even then when the others are on at the same time they run at 2800kbps

Collapse -
Let me try more blunt.

In reply to: reply

That's a dated piece of hardware. Today's models fare better.

Is that clearer?

Collapse -
yes

In reply to: Let me try more blunt.

I no that the modem is old, BUT, all 2 other computers which are not as good as the laptop run alot faster.

Collapse -
Then ...

In reply to: yes

Follow our forum sticky and what it proposes. It has worked out to be the best for most with what we got.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.