PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Is my Video Card Faulty? HELP!!!

Hi guys, I just picked up a new custom made computer: An Amd Athlon 3400, (128 MB) Radeon 9800 pro, 1024 MB of Ram and a Seagate 120 Gigabyte Hardrive.

Now those are my specs here's where the trouble is; I just got this computer back yesterday from my fathers friend whos a pro at building custom computers and never makes mistakes. When I rebooted the computer for the first time and windows xp loaded for the second time I started to get artifacts all over every icon and also on random messages from windows that pop up (even the user icons when you log onto windows xp). I fixed that problem because supposedly my card can't handle windows xp on the highest hardware acceleration (which is the default setting). But now I'm getting this problem in every game I play; it's not just a few artifact glitches popping up here and there there all over the screen almost like a checkerboard pattern...

The games I've played so far are Mafia and Doom 3 and they both look the same. Should I return my card? Are there any settings I can change?

P.S. My brother has the EXACT same computer up to the case and he is having no problems at all...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is my Video Card Faulty? HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is my Video Card Faulty? HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Is my Video Card Faulty? HELP!!!

In reply to: Is my Video Card Faulty? HELP!!!

Your post didn't list a power supply. At that parts list, a 450 or higher wattage supply would be my pick, but your post writes "get artifacts all over every icon and also on random messages from windows that pop up (even the user icons when you log onto windows xp). I fixed that problem because supposedly my card can't handle windows xp on the highest hardware acceleration".

When I see this, the case cover comes off and I point a fan at the machine to see if it's heat. Many don't design heat management into their design.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Is my Video Card Faulty? HELP!!!

In reply to: Is my Video Card Faulty? HELP!!!

Keywords,

"just got this computer back yesterday from my fathers friend whos a pro at building custom computers and never makes mistakes."

Don't want to say your system builder made a mistake, but if all the parts are new (my card can't handle windows XP)
then something is wrong and the builder should correct issue.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.