Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Phones forum

Question

Is my POOR RECEPTION due to my old phone or the service?

by AChicago7 / June 19, 2011 12:34 PM PDT

I use ATT for my cell phone service. I live in Chicago. I have had my Sony Ericsson phone for 8 or 9 years (yeah, I know...but I've taken very good care of it and it's very small and easy to use and I don't think there's anything wrong with it).

So...that is my question. Has cell phone service changed so much (new networks - 3G, 4G) that my phone is not working well because of that...OR, has my phone just somehow developed "bad reception" in its older age...OR, does my provider's coverage just suck where I am using my phone?

I wouldn't think that the antenna would "wear out" over time...

Is my phone not able to work as well with the new technology of the current networks? Is the signal different enough that my phone is having problems?

I don't want to buy a new phone just to have crappy ATT reception in the same places with the new phone.

Thanks very much for any help you all can offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is my POOR RECEPTION due to my old phone or the service?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is my POOR RECEPTION due to my old phone or the service?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
which model handset are you using?
by Pepe7 / June 19, 2011 3:22 PM PDT

Just want to verify it has both 850/1900 GSM frequency bands and is not euro-tri band. You phone is likely GSM only or perhaps a GAIT phone like I used to use w/ ATT before they shut off TDMA.

Some parts of Chicago are tough with some network changes happening at times. Indoor coverage is no longer good at certain locations, and other places now have a usable signal that formerly did not exist ;). There's also the possibility that the cell site (=tower) closest to you is being worked on/upgraded/etc.

Best method to test out the service is to borrow a friend's (newer) handset, that includes 3G frequency bands and insert your SIM to test the difference in person. Testing out two different handsets would be even better- sometimes ATT stores will let you do this.

Another place to check on coverage in your neck of the woods is Howardforums.com. Plenty of Chicago folks in the ATT forum to commiserate with there.

Collapse -
More info...
by AChicago7 / June 20, 2011 3:00 PM PDT

Thanks to everyone for the help. My phone is a (don't laugh) Sony Ericsson T226.
It's so small. I love it.

And it sounds like I need to make some friends then borrow their phones. I'll work on that. Ha...

My reception has always been bad in my apartment (my current place and my last apt) but I find that my calls are being dropped constantly when in the car - all over the city. Not just in a spot or two. Maddening...

Thanks again and thanks for the Howardforums.com suggestion.

Collapse -
This sounds more like the coverage is simply poor...
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2011 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: More info...

...where you need to use the phone around Chi-town.

Collapse -
Phone used in many neighborhoods...
by AChicago7 / June 21, 2011 3:16 PM PDT

West Loop, West Town, Lincoln Square, Logan Square, Bucktown, North Center, Lakeview, etc... Sucky in lots of spots.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Both
by AccessoryGeeks / June 20, 2011 6:48 AM PDT

The answer to your question can be both. The antenna on your device might be worn out, no matter how great you took care of your phone. At&t has bearable service, just bearable and is nothing short of excellent. You should run a test. Try to find some friends with At&t service providers and bring them to your house and see if their reception is any stronger then yours.

Collapse -
First I've heard of this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2011 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Both

While we do see RADAR antennas wear out, most of that is due to the moving parts. These cell phones usually have no moving parts in the antenna and finding a worn out antenna is something I've never seen.

Is there some IEEE or other paper on this to read?
Bob

Collapse -
You're nose is growing(!) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2011 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Both

n/t

Collapse -
Answer
Have you.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 21, 2011 11:31 PM PDT

.....asked At&t if the IRDB is up to date in your phone/account? If it is not up to date you may not be receiving the optimal signal to the phone. It can be easily corrected, but call them from another phone # to troubleshoot.

Collapse -
AFAIK GSM doesn't use mobile-side IRDB
by Pepe7 / June 22, 2011 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you.....

That's all on the network side now, unlike TDMA was before ATT switched over to GAIT, then GSM. And FWIW, when Cingular/ATT removed the manual network selection, reception got even worse for me on my trusty 'ol Nokia 6340i ;(.

Collapse -
Unless something dramatically changed....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 22, 2011 1:55 AM PDT

......At&t was using the IRDB with all GSM phones and it was always part of the troubleshooting process while I was still w/ At&t CS in 2009.

Collapse -
Maybe I am remembering it somewhat incorrectly
by Pepe7 / June 22, 2011 3:16 AM PDT

Perhaps either her handset or SIM is old enough now that the OTA updates didn't always make it. Maybe that's why her reception has been marginal all along.

Collapse -
You guys are all so smart...
by AChicago7 / June 22, 2011 12:59 PM PDT

I did borrow a co-worker's iPhone (3) and the reception was still sucky where I normally have trouble with my phone. When I called my sister from my apt, she did say that the borrowed phone sounded better there...
Crap.
I have read that US Cellular has the best call quality in the Chicago area. Do I really want to switch? What if they suck, too? I've been with ATT since I got my first cell back in...1997 I think?... (not that it matters...loyalty-wise, I just don't have any experience with other service providers).
Btw, can you define the following?...
OTA, IRDB, GSM, TDMA, GAIT, FWIW, IEEE
Trying to increase the ol' knowledge base...
Thanks again.

Collapse -
it can be both
by aldonca / June 22, 2011 9:04 PM PDT

it can be both, both can create problem your device or your network, is your friends around you using the same network facing problem ?? if so the network might be problem or else it is time to change your mobile

Collapse -
It takes some experimenting to get it all right
by Pepe7 / June 23, 2011 1:20 AM PDT

I've lived in Chicagoland since ~1994. That said, my cell service has gotten better over time, but's it's still not perfect everywhere. ATT has certainly improved for me though. Trial and error is to be expected for evaluating any of them, especially living in more densely packed parts of the city where there are more obstacles to good signals reaching where they need to. Big buildings (etc.) can block useful signals from reaching inside your apartment, and it is also a function of how close you are to the closest cell site. And this goes for all the carriers, including USCC. There are places around Chicago where they also have less than useful service. YMMV (=your mileage may vary). The trial period when you sign up for service is when you need to actually test it out thoroughly. Normally this is between 14 and 30 days depending on the carrier (see their web sites for this info). US Cellular is definitely cheaper than ATT though.

Collapse -
clarification
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 23, 2011 2:26 AM PDT

OTA = Over The Air - process where cellular company sends updates automatically to a phone

IRDB = International Roaming Database - set of codes that determine which cellular providers that your cellular company will allow a customer to roam on (send/rcv calls/data/messages) when off-network.

GSM = Global Standard for Mobile Communications - method of cellular network (At&t and T-mobile in the US)

GAIT = a retired cellular network which was used during the transition from the older TDMA network to GSM

TDMA = Time Division Multiple Access - a retired cellular network introduced prior to GAIT and GSM.

FWIW = For What it is Worth

IEEE = For example......

I understand that most of use chronic posters use a lot of these acronyms and not everyone knows what they mean. Don't hesitate to ask if you don't know what it is.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!