General discussion

Is my internet good for what I pay for

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is my internet good for what I pay for
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is my internet good for what I pay for
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Looks fine.

Cable for most is 1.5 to 10 megabits per second. Your test shows it met that on the download.

The upload runs about 10 percent due to the asymmetric nature of such a connection so that's in range too.

Skype should be fine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Lot of undefined variables

Depends on what you pay for, I work for a cable company, if it was my install I'd be looking for issues, that said our base speed is now 16/2, so that would be why. The Closest cable company is not upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 and there base speed is 4/1, so you'd be getting more than what you pay for there.

What speed are you subscribing to, and if you want to know about sigal impairment you shoudl be able to get the signal levels from 192.168.100.1 and verify they are in the appropriate ranges.

Also speedtests are subjective they need to be close to where your ISP's hosting center [cmts in cable speak] is or your speed could be getting scrubbed off by the actual internet and how it works rather than your provider having issues.

If you pay only $100 a YEAR your getting a great deal though, most people pay more like $100/MONTH in my area for TV/internet/phone.

- Collapse -
For $100 a year....

CNET Forums

Forum Info