Storage forum

Question

Is my external hard drive operating as my C Drive?

by phutch_09 / February 15, 2013 2:26 PM PST

I am on Dell Inspiron 5110. Windows 7, Home Premium, Service pack 1, 64 Bit.

Long story. Will try to abbreviate.
I had a battery shut down (not connected to internet at the time), recharged battery. Connected to internet 1 day after hard battery shut down.
Computer started running very very slow. Ran Malwares, Antivirus, etc. Initiated back up via Dell services (unknowingly to the C Drive).
Computer performance improved somewhat, however I found that I was unable to open files and continued to receive a "side by side card file" error message.
I posted to geekstogo.com/forum, through a number of tests, I find that my computer is running via a copied file.
I moved that copied file (C drive: users.Paula.Paula Pc) to the external.
Since then, my external will not power down, no matter what I try. When prompted to close other applications, I receive an error message stating that windows is waiting for background programs to close.
When I view my C drive/users/paula/pc, the files are not up to date. However, when I view C/users/paula.paula-pc (the copy from the hard reboot), I can see most recent files.
I honestly believe my computer runs from the copied hard drive copy to the external hard drive. I want to be able to operate under the C drive that is present on my computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is my external hard drive operating as my C Drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is my external hard drive operating as my C Drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Please read a recent discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 2:33 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by phutch_09 / February 17, 2013 10:16 AM PST

Thanks for the link, I will go read that forum. For the most part, the side by side configuration has been fixed as I haven't had any problems lately.
Since my computer has acted up and I got it running smoothly again, I try to back up my files routinely.

Collapse -
Answer
If you look at your system thru Explorer, what do you see ?
by VAPCMD / February 15, 2013 10:50 PM PST

If you look at your system thru DISK MANAGEMENT, what do you see ?

While the PC is OFF, what happens when you unplug AND disconnect the external HDD and restart the PC ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Disk Management View
by phutch_09 / February 17, 2013 10:53 AM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">When I open disk management, at the top, under volume listings, I have a blank space which shows to be 94 MB OEM Partition, stating healthy. However, when viewing below the listings. The blank area shows to be disk 0 with the following listings: 94 MB OEM, Healthy; Recovery, 14.65 GB NTFS Healthy (system, active, primary partition) and last OS (C:) 451.01 GB NTFS, Healthy, Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition.

So the listings under the volume files (the top pane area) are as follows:
Blank, Healthy, OEM Partition 94 MB. Free Space: 94 MB

External Drive E: NTFS Healthy, Primary Partition 2794 GB. Free Space 2306.23GB

External Drive F: FAT32, Health Primary Partition 931.28 GB. Free Space 32.17

OS (C:) : NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 451.01GB. Free Space 279.62 (I believe half of the amount of space used is the recovery Paula.Paula-Pc)

Recovery: NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition) 14.65 GB. Free Space 5.17.

I have (in the past disconnected the external drive) and ran the laptop on it's own. However, I didn't search through and attempt to open different types of files, etc. I was mainly on the internet, gaming.
I will do as you suggested, shut down the computer, unplug the external and see what happens as well as attempt to open different files.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.