Question

Is my external hard drive getting power?

Hi all,
I'm trying to recover some data off a 2.5" 160GB SATA hard drive that was failing. I pulled it out of the laptop, put it in a hard drive enclosure, plugged it into another computer, and nothing happened. The power light on the enclosure didn't come on, the disk didn't spin, and (obviously) the computer didn't recognize a new drive being plugged in.

My question is this: even if the disk has utterly failed and won't spin, shouldn't the power light on the enclosure at least come on? In other words, is it possible I have a faulty enclosure? Or does the power light only come on if the motor succeeds in spinning the disk?

(Note: I'm using a brand new Sabrent hard drive enclosure that plugs into the USB port. It claims to be "plug and play")

Thanks for any insight you might have.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is my external hard drive getting power?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is my external hard drive getting power?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
To test this
- Collapse -
not a windows computer

Yeah, the hard drive failed (by which I mean it stopped booting). It is from a mac computer, not a windows based computed and when I did a cursory check the other day I didn't see Ubuntu software for the particular model and OS. In any event, the hard drive is out of the laptop now and just wondering if I've got an utterly dead disk (and that is why the power light on the enclosure is not coming on) or the enclosure is defective. Regrettably, I don't have functional sata hard drive laying around to test the enclosure. Could I possibly test it with a multimeter?

- Collapse -
I'm going with no.

Why not put it back into the apple and boot the Apple OS DVD/CD? It seems to support checking out the drive.

About Ubuntu. It does support all known Apple file systems.

As to not having another drive, the next stop is a place like http://www.drivesavers.com if you don't want to get a spare drive or another adapter.

By the way, I use this one a lot -> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020
Bob

- Collapse -
Now a linux question...

First of all, thanks for all the advice you've given me. You are both knowledgeable and patient. Just one more question.

I have successfully booted from a Ubuntu disk and can navigate my way to the "users" folder, but when I
I click on any of the sub-folders of a particular user I get the following message:
"You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of [x] folder."

So, my question is, how do I get permission to access my old files and back them up?
(Obviously I know the password for the computer but Ubuntu didn't prompt me for it).

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Be patient. You'll want to read this prior discussion.
- Collapse -
thanks

Thanks a lot! Like I said, you've been very helpful. I appreciate all your advice.

CNET Forums