Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Is Microsoft Office 2003 compatible with VISTA

by swg_2007 / April 19, 2007 5:50 PM PDT

I don't like Office 2007 offered on my new Vista computer. I want to load my version of Office 2003 from the CD. Will there be any complications? Will Vista allow me to load Office 2003?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Microsoft Office 2003 compatible with VISTA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Microsoft Office 2003 compatible with VISTA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes it is I use office 2003 with no issues with Vista outloo
by Basket628 / April 19, 2007 7:07 PM PDT

Yes it is I use office 2003 with no issues with Vista outlook

Collapse -
(NT) No issues here either with Office 2003 :)
by glenn30 / April 19, 2007 10:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Try this
by Argotec / April 20, 2007 2:58 PM PDT

Having installed Office 2007, I missed the pop up bars! So decided to install 'just them' from an Office 2003 CD no problem! Pity I have to save all my documents for e-mail as Word 97-2003 docs, for my family to read them! Might try a dual install just for fun but it should work. I've managed to get most programs working in Vista even a few it said wouldn't.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Theres a way to automatically save files in 97-2003 format
by marsdta / September 21, 2007 5:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

i don't know if you know this but you can change how Office 2007 saves documents. In word click on that button on the top left and go to word options. under save change it to 97-2003. now next time you save a file it will automatically save it in the old doc format.. beats going to save as every time

Collapse -
Just for Information
by CountryJester / February 7, 2010 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

There is also a small add-on for Office 2003 from MS that allows Office 2007 documents to be open by 2003. Just have them look for Office 2003 Office 2007 compatibility on the MS website. I had to get it so my kids could open documents they brought home from school.

Collapse -
ms office 2003 with vista
by helmut819 / September 21, 2007 12:37 AM PDT

I was able to install office 2003 on my 2nd computer using the vista basic os. I am having a problem with outlook. I loaded my email account but I am unable to store my password. What am I doing wrong???

Collapse -
Have You Installed Office 2003 Service Pack 3 Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 22, 2007 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Uninstall Office 2007 before 2003?
by oldgumba / December 4, 2008 9:03 AM PST

Hi
Do you need to uninstall Office 2007 before installing Office 2003 with Vista Home?
Thanks
Old gumba

Collapse -
I'm going to answer YES!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 9:17 AM PST

Positively, absolutely would never install 2003 with another version already on the machine. I wonder if you'll ask why. Here it is -> I don't like trouble. People bring me plenty daily.
Bob

Collapse -
Yep, Although One Interesting Note..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2008 6:36 AM PST

Although I also recommend uninstalling all previous versions of Office before installing a new one, if you uninstall Office 2007, you may also want to install the Office Compatibility Pack after installing Office 2003..

Because Office 2007 has a slightly different default file extension for it's Word and Excel documents, Office 2003 won't read them.. If you install the Office 2007 Compatibility pack with Office 2003, then all such documents can be opened and worked on.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

Be sure to visit the Office Updates site after installing Office 2003 and the Office Compatibility Pack.. There are quite a few updates for both, including Service packs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Office 2003 w/ Vista
by oldgumba / December 5, 2008 8:51 AM PST

Grif
Thanks so much for the help. It's my wife's computer and if I screw it up, well..................

Galen

Collapse -
It's OK
by Mikel72 / April 21, 2007 2:05 AM PDT

Actually I am using MSOffice 2003 in my Notebook running Windows Vista Home Premium with NO problems so far.

I think they work good together.

Collapse -
Microsoft Office 2003 compatibility
by ktalarico / July 25, 2007 6:02 AM PDT

I have a brand new computer (sony vaio ls30e) with windows Vista Home Premium. It has 2 GB ram. I installed my copy of Office 2003 (with Aero features turned off). It *appears* to work, but when I went to change the office assistant I received an error message that said that there wasn't enough memory to run it. In addition, there were no choices of other office assistants in the "options" tab. A colleague of mine had precisely the same problem.

I am hesitant to go out and get Office 2007 because at the university where I work there are still folks who are using Office 97!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kathryn Talarico

Collapse -
Re: Office Assistant 2003
by Kees Bakker / July 25, 2007 6:13 AM PDT

I googled the message. After 5 hits that only mentioned the problem #6 had the solution: http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/archive/2007/07/23/how-to-get-the-office-assistant-office-2003-to-work-in-windows-vista-i-e-remove-the-quot-not-enough-memory-quot-error-messages.aspx

Worth a try. Nothing to be found on the MS Knowledge base. That's a shame. You might try to call Microsoft support and see if they will acknowledge the solution for this bug for free in stead of the usual $50 or so.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
office assistant
by ktalarico / July 25, 2007 10:54 AM PDT

Thanks so much, Kees. It looks as if your suggestion might be the answer. But the Geek Squad will be here in a few days, to be on the safe side as well!

Kathryn

Collapse -
Office Assistant 2003 and Windows Vista
by ktalarico / July 26, 2007 10:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Help with Office 2003 on Vista
by mildrec / December 31, 2007 10:44 AM PST

I am away from home and my sister has Vista. I need to do some work with Word, but my sister does not have Office. My friend transferred me Office 2003 via Aol instant messenger. I have attempted to install the software that was transferred, but cannot. It tells me that the software is not ompatible with my system. How can I get this to work? Please help!!!

thsnks!

Collapse -
Office 2003...
by John.Wilkinson / December 31, 2007 11:06 AM PST

Office 2003 is compatible with Windows Vista, with various bugs being fixed by the latest service pack, but chances are that would not be a legitimate installation. Remember that the Office 2003 license permits you a single installation on your own personal computer and one on a portable device, provided you are the owner with primary usage. Unless that's your Office 2003 license you're using for the installation, and it's not installed on your computer, best to look elsewhere. You can download a free trial of Office 2007 from Microsoft's website, or use OpenOffice, the free alternative. For online document editing you can also access ThinkFree.com through a web browser on just about any computer at no cost. There's also the Word Viewer for those who don't need to create documents, only view them.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Problem solved
by mildrec / December 31, 2007 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: Office 2003...

Thanks for your help, John

Collapse -
Office 2003 Compatability with Vista
by Bob2809 / October 30, 2008 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Office 2003...

I am trying to take my MS OFfice 2003 applications over to my new laptop from my old via USB stick. They transfer fine but the new laptop (running Vista) is saying that the compatability isn't set. Can anyone suggest anything?

Collapse -
Re: Office 2003 in Vista
by Kees Bakker / October 30, 2008 1:32 AM PDT

No problem, as long as you install it from the original Office CD. That's the only way to do it. Copying from a USB-stick isn't supported.

Kees

Collapse -
Office Apps Don't Transfer By Flash Drive..Unless..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 30, 2008 1:35 AM PDT

..you've got the full Office CD on the flash.. Basically, you can't simply transfer a few files from one computer to another and expect Office to function.. You need to install it completely from the CD so all files are installed and various registry entries and dll registrations can occur correctly.

On the other hand, if you're referring to Office "files" such as Word documents, or Outlook pst files, then that's a different issue.. Let us know which it is.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Office Apps Don't Transfer By Flash Drive
by Bob2809 / October 30, 2008 1:46 AM PDT

Right. Well I had wondered if I was trying my luck a bit. I've got a 256MB mem stick and trying to copy the whole MS folder across. It's taken the files over but just not accepting compatability - I guess I will have to give up on that one.
Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Installing MS Office on Vista
by walsh50 / August 16, 2008 11:37 AM PDT

I just purchased a new computer with 64-bit Windows Vista Ultimate. I installed my MS Professional Office 2003, as well as MS project 2003, MS Visio Professional 2003, and MS Frontpage 2003. 9 programs in all and I haven't run into any problems. Happy

Collapse -
Vista and Microsoft office
by Anne Buckard / December 29, 2008 10:09 AM PST

When I purchased my computer it had Windows office already downloaded. I have recently updated and purchased a computer with Vista already downloaded. There was no Microsoft Office. Since my previous computer was already downloaded with Microsoft Office I have no disc to download into my newer one. Could you send me a disc to download Microsoft Office 2003. Thank you so very much. I love the spell check and really miss it! Anne Buckard

Collapse -
Not permitted...
by John.Wilkinson / December 29, 2008 11:13 PM PST

You can actually still download the Office 2003 installer from Microsoft, but that license on your old computer was locked to your old computer. (Paid for by your old computer's manufacturer and provided as a courtesy.) Therefore you may only legally install the trial version on your new computer unless you purchase a new license yourself. Otherwise you'll need to look into free alternatives such as OpenOffice.org.

John

Collapse -
Sorry we can't do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 11:18 PM PST
Collapse -
Microsoft office 2003 will not operate properly with Vista
by BlountM123 / January 25, 2009 12:53 PM PST

Do I nees a update from microsoft to operate microsoft office 2003with windows vista?

Collapse -
No...
by John.Wilkinson / January 25, 2009 2:14 PM PST

Although there is a service pack for Office 2003 available which will resolve some known issues.

John

Collapse -
Help?
by dimondca / October 3, 2009 8:53 AM PDT

I tried to put on MS office 2003 and it said that I have a CR561401.cab missing what would that be? How to fix it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?