General discussion

Is microsoft antispyware enough?

I just installed it and it found no spyware on my system. Spybot found a dso exploit, and several other things like advertising.com etc. I used it before and my registry went nuts and I had to repartition my harddrive and install xp all over again. I'm not sure whether or not I should try fixing these problems. And if Microsoft antispyware didn't find what spybot found, is it inadequate?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is microsoft antispyware enough?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is microsoft antispyware enough?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No

As an anti-spyware, it "may" be, but it is under beta testing so it is early days yet. Best to stay with Spybot , (and be carful what you tell it to delete in future), and also use SpywareBlaster that compliments Spybot.

Also, do you have a firewall? Do you have any anti-virus software? Do you have any anti-adware software?

Mark

- Collapse -
Hi

I have norton antivirus 2004, zonealarm, and lavasoft ad-aware.

- Collapse -
Rob, its not enough but...

Microsoft Antispyware Beta is a good start. You need some others for checks as well. I have had excellent experience with the Beta version... mine checks daily and auto updates frequently.

I see Bill Gates announced yesterday that it is to remain free to valid O/S versions after the final version is released... which as I recall is July 1st. Happy

Safe computing!

Glenn

CNET Forums

Forum Info