General discussion

Is kodak the only one?

I want to buy a camera for under $200. that does not require me to manually rotate the photos after I upload them to my computer. I've found that most cameras do not adjust if you turn the camera sideways when taking a picture and it is annoying. Someone told me that Kodak is the only camera in that price that can recognize and relate how the subject should appear.
Does anyone know if this is true and what camera will help me with this? I'd really appreiate your help. If it matters, I have Windows 7 on my Dell laptop. thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is kodak the only one?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is kodak the only one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
forgive my ignorance

Forgive my ignorance but does the Kodak do this through gravitational orientation when you initially take the picture? Or does it have some advanced sensory ability to know the biggest side of the image compared to subject matter? In that case, can imaging software thus do the same thing?
Without trying to bash Kodak unnecessarily, the last couple of Kodaks friends owned that I have tried seemed rather feature and performance short and budget oriented compared to the top Japanese brands. Not to say they probably weren't competetive in their price range, I just find it hard to imagine they have an important feature the others do not.
Waiting to be educated by following posts.

- Collapse -
just thinking

immediately sfter posting that I started thinking, with the high resolution and megapixel count of today's cameras, do many users shoot lengthwize by holding the camera 90 degrees rotated? On some cameras it may be workable but on many it seems awkward and if you don't need to do so to get increased resolution, you'd only do so to decrease unnecessary backround- say if the subject is standing. Many photo programs allow cropping by batch, IIRC? Just thinking if it's not offered by everyone maybe it's because there are other ways to do the same thing?
Looking through my Konica Minolta Z5 manual (an older camera but the only one of a half dozen I have a printed manual in front of me for) the only rotation option is during playback reviewing them, which you can save if you rotate.

- Collapse -
Wish I knew the answer.

Not sure how to reply, but I appreciate your response. All I know is that when I bought a Canon digital a few months ago (which I returned) if I had turned the camera 90 degrees to take a photo of ,let's say, someone standing, and uploaded it to my computer, the person was rotated. And even with the photo software and trying to manually rotate it back , it still would not "Save" it the way I intended. I just thought there has to be an easier way. As I said, my old Kodak did not do this. I'm curious why certain cameras don't.

- Collapse -
Just sharing.

My Kodak dx7590 does the autorotate. But here's why. It has the gravity sensor so it can detect when to auto-rotate. Also we can disable that in the menus.

Not all cameras have it and the reason is very simple. The consumers are demanding the lowest cost. And before you state it could be done in software, that costs too.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info